TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I got home last night about 1:30AM from a trip to VA over the weekend...real tired, dragging after we drove about 12 hours to get home after a busy two days. Then I saw THIS waiting for me on the front porch...Zounds!! What a great surprise. A big box that says "TreeStuff" is cool enough. But when you pick it up and it weighs almost nothing you suspect there may be an APTA inside...WAY cool.

So...I have only unpacked it so far. Still super busy with work going-ons lately (last 4-6 weeks have been the busiest we have ever been). I'll try it out in the next few days and get back to you...I can tell you for now that compared to the earlier iron pipe version this one is incredibly lighter...looking forward to trying it out.

Attachments

• uuu.JPG
    uuu.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 403
  • ttt.JPG
    ttt.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow...I shot it today for the first time...first shot with a 12 oz bag only went approx 90' up and over a big sweetgum. Second shot was similar but it had some resistance by going thru the tree canopy...still was a good hard shot. My 8 year old grandson was working the valve...this valve is VERY easy to operate.

I made a 65 foot shot with a 16 oz bag and line attached into a pine...VERY impressive, guys. I made video until we were ready to make the last shot and the camera died (my grandson has been filming Plants vs Zombies gaming :/: ) I will get some video soon of the APTA in operation.

I can tell you it is well thought out...very similar to the Big Shot in the aiming procedure. The cap that protects the air charging valve is removable and tethered...makes it easy to attach the air line for charging...remove rubber boot, charge, replace boot and fire...just remember to load the bag into the barrel before charging the system.

Load bag....charge with air...shoot.

This is going to be a very useful tool. My son is a firefighter and we started discussing again using compressed air in a tank (airpac for you FF guys) as a quick recharge source. I'll keep you posted on that, too. And I will see how reproducible the shots can be, Merle...I think there will be a good consistency.

Nick...this is very nice tool. Thanks for your work in continuing to develop it.

haha...you are hearing an M-79 I gotta feeling???

More of a "crack" sound. Camera is charged...I'll try to get a short video in the AM.

Alright! My new APTA has arrived! Will be launching tomorrow. Gary did you use anti-sieze lube to connect the two tubes together?

Ha! Never even crossed my mind! I just screwed it together...but I have some copper-anti-sieze at work. I'll probably put some on there in case I do need to break it down sometime. Good idea.

I used my Walmart bicycle pump, took maybe 10-15 pumps to get to 80 pounds pressure...I shot between 80 - 100 psi for the 3 shots I made today.

I fired it like a Japanese knee mortar (base on ground, not knee).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9toMIYnzBZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here you go....kind of long...just over 11 minutes.

Nick, I am really impressed with this APTA. I will be using it, for sure. I just broke the pull tab on the bag cradle of my homemade Big Shot so your timing is great.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dvfTNT7ZAW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nick...I just watched your video again...why should the bag go in "ring down"?

I did mine "ring up" and it did fine. Whazzup wit dat?

I also fired mine with the ground as base...I'll have to try using hip as base, too.

Good question...I figured so that you wouldn't have your hands over a "live" barrel while loading the bag...in case someone accidentally triggered the lever while you had hands in harm's way. I don't know if there is a "prescribed" way to do it or not.

Perhaps it should be loaded before pumping to prevent an accidental discharge while loading. That makes sense.

Back