TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the kind of idea I was hoping to have thrown my way. How did they power the air cond. compressor?

With the engine serpentine belt, I assume. Just thinking about where the automotive AC compressor would be mounted makes it obvious.

Truck motor. They literally used either the existing air conditioner compressor, or just added another one. Electric clutch and everything. Pipe bumper for a reservoir works well too. Easier to do on older trucks obviously, I would think that one with the old v belt style would be easier than a serpentine belt, but it can be done either way. I know the older York compressors are the common ones to use, I think it has to be a piston style compressor, not scroll type.

Gary, if you're fighting the bag in, I'd guess you're fighting the bag out.

I use weaver 12 oz weights, I think they're a good size. I put my bag in, ring up, then tap the butt of the APTA on the ground of my boots' safety toe. The bag makes its way right to the bottom, and seals well. I think that the bag conforms well, using this approach.

Np man, if there's a redneck there's a way :) it would also be very easy to score a compressor and hook it up to a small horizontal shaft engine too, if you just wanted it in the trailer. Maybe even more than one compressor, piped to the same tank.

20-25 strokes with my bike pump definitely not as fast as a BigShot.

20-25 strokes with my bike pump also is a slight warm-up and pushing-muscle exercise.

That gets me about 160 PSI. Enough for most stuff.

Around here it was usually about 15-18 bike pumps max for shots...with that 16oz bag. When a TIP is in dense stuff or tight it could take 6-8 shots sometimes (usually one or two but stuff happens).

The bike pump gets old then. Maybe the new will rub off and make me crazy...we'll see. For now it's uber convenient. And it looks kinda:

ghostbusters-movie-image-black-white-01.jpg

If you have the tank and the space, its great. My truck is too full. Do you use a trailer for gear since its P/T tree work, daily driver truck?

I'd love to have the space of a trailer, but need to tow stuff. I'd like a walk-in truck box for tools/ work space. Always wondered about a surplus ambulance.

Is the issue getting the weight to the ground the first time? Are you trying to use an all-in-one weight (shooting and manipulating/ dancing the weight around)?

With that dense canopy, do you shoot the line, let it come to the ground, then change to a heavy weight or heavy weight and steel biner? When I have a lot of drag, or need more weight to manipulate, I will even, rarely, just clip one weight onto the next weight with a steel biner.

Do you know that pumping the APTA for your next shot makes manipulating the current shot more effective? Your throw bag is much more cooperative when it knows the alternative is being shot out of a cannon again, possibly headlong into the trunk of the tree. :lol:

If you have the tank and the space, its great. My truck is too full. Do you use a trailer for gear since its P/T tree work, daily driver truck?

I'd love to have the space of a trailer, but need to tow stuff. I'd like a walk-in truck box for tools/ work space. Always wondered about a surplus ambulance.

Is the issue getting the weight to the ground the first time? Are you trying to use an all-in-one weight (shooting and manipulating/ dancing the weight around)?

With that dense canopy, do you shoot the line, let it come to the ground, then change to a heavy weight or heavy weight and steel biner? When I have a lot of drag, or need more weight to manipulate, I will even, rarely, just clip one weight onto the next weight with a steel biner.

Do you know that pumping the APTA for your next shot makes manipulating the current shot more effective? Your throw bag is much more cooperative when it knows the alternative is being shot out of a cannon again, possibly headlong into the trunk of the tree. :lol:

I usually use an all in one weight...try to not have to change bags or add weight. Habit....I'll try shooting light bag and get it down then switch to 16 oz...may be more efficient.

I do use a trailer...went from a 5x8 to a 7x16. I am really liking using the trailer. It also houses my dive team gear...on some of our dive missions I end up dipping into tree gear to set up diver belay systems, etc. And I can fit my kayak into the trailer if we are doing shore line searches or swimmer safety duty (e.g., triathlon water safety). When Alex and I roll to a tree job one carries trailer, the other the chipper.

Here is the trailer now...Alex plans to build some custom shelves in the nose for the stuff on the floor...will probably put a vise on a bench, too.

10-4 on intimidating the throwbag into compliance...:lol:

Attachments

• tree trailer in w-house  (1)resized.jpg
    tree trailer in w-house (1)resized.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 40
  • tree trailer in w-house  (3)resized.jpg
    tree trailer in w-house (3)resized.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20171231_174407resized.jpg
    20171231_174407resized.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20171231_174424resized.jpg
    20171231_174424resized.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20171231_174455resized.jpg
    20171231_174455resized.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20171231_174531resized.jpg
    20171231_174531resized.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 40
I had a 20oz for a while, until it broke. Throw line drag doesn't usually argue much with that weight.

20 oz plus a steel biner can set a rope in lower branches.

Any kitchen set-up in there? Fold down counter top? Espresso maker? Hot food on a cold day, out of the rain would be a treat.

Having a place to change into and out of wet, saw chip covered rain gear would be a treat.

haha...no kitchen yet. But you are right about a place out of the weather. Cold wet days it's nice to have a place to secure/protect gear...or just dump it and lock it up til it can be dealt with once the weather breaks.

Awesome trailer Gary! You definitely need to score some folding chairs, big cooler, and a microwave, and maybe even a grill. Don't forget the fold down table too. Run lights, outlets, and everything, then have a 100' extension cord to plug into the homeowners house. Fan in the summer to cool off with, space heater for the winter. First aid kit, mirror and eye wash, hand cleaner, and rags. And if you really want to church it up plumb it up with an rv shitter and holding tanks :D. Effective breaks makes for more effective work. In the construction world they are called jobsite trailers, they are the first thing that shows up in a job, they are that useful.

:lol: Kyle...you are killin' me! Although I am working on shore power and some outlets inside to drive some lights when at home doing maintenance on saws et al. All that other stuff....I wish!

Lol think of it this way... How much time do you lose in a year to stopping work while someone runs up to the closest gas station to take a dump? Or worse awkwardly works for hours with reduced efficiency because they need to? How much more productive is everyone when they can have a sit down lunch break, cool off, and eat food from home rather than driving to get food? A small generator would power it when you can't get to a plug, not to mention power a chainsaw grinder, lights for storm work and late nights, battery charger for the truck and chipper, and drills for winching and cabling. Seriously, around here on construction they use the side door mainly, and have a hole for a window ac unit. If you build it like that, you will never work without it again, trust me lol. Let's put it this way, I'm going to be building my pipeline welding rig this winter. I will have ample room for tools, rod storage, etc. But I am also going to add a generator (the welder is dc output only, including the tool power) and will have a microwave, paper towels and toilet paper, garbage bags, a water cooler, fan, couple of umbrellas, pantry area to hold non refrigerated foods, grill, big cooler (it's actually in the contract where they have to provide ice each morning, and usually bottled water), and a Coleman stove, with a cast iron skillet. Lol that's on a truck, not even a nice ample sized trailer ;)

An old timer once explained to me "son, you make the work conditions that you live under. You can do everything with just enough stuff to get by, or you can actually make your life easy and comfortable. You will spend more time in your life at work than anywhere else awake, so you might as well enjoy it. Don't let it get in the way of what you are here to do, but make it fun, and work smarter not harder"

Lol you would be shocked at how tricked out some of the jobsite trailers are... Wifi, desks that would be found in an office building, complete kitchens, showers, projector tv's for meetings, complete computer and printer setups, private bathrooms... Some of them are basically an rv. That's too far imo, a cassette crapper, some lawn chairs, a fan, a generator, and a microwave would be a very nice addition tho. You could do all of that for like $500.

Back