TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I often fire it from a kneeling position, braced on the top of my thigh, near the hip "pocket". Shoulder firing is tough due to the way I have to pull the firing handle.

If I was looking down the barrel the holographic site makes the most sense. But since I am "judging" the shot a laser dot (red is fine) would probably work best.

Are y'all able to shoulder fire your APTA?

Mine is shoulder fire. Might be hard to see a laser site in bright daylight.

I use the APTA the same way as you do, Gary so a holographic sight for us might not be the best choice. But we are using the older, longer APTAs. I think that the new ones that Treestuff is selling have the shorter air chamber so are easier to aim from the shoulder.

It would be easy to shorten the chamber but I have gotten used to the long one and don't mind it at all. Plus I think the bigger air chamber has more hight potential.

I have gotten pretty good with mine but on high shots a more precise aim point would sure be good...just a few degrees off translates into 1-2 foot miss. I will probably buy a cheap laser and cable tie it first to see if it is feasible. I'll let you know what happens.

Cool, Gary. I will be very interested on how it works for you. I do think that the APTA is capable of some very good accuracy.

I got home last night about 1:30AM from a trip to VA over the weekend...real tired, dragging after we drove about 12 hours to get home after a busy two days. Then I saw THIS waiting for me on the front porch...Zounds!! What a great surprise. A big box that says "TreeStuff" is cool enough. But when you pick it up and it weighs almost nothing you suspect there may be an APTA inside...WAY cool.

So...I have only unpacked it so far. Still super busy with work going-ons lately (last 4-6 weeks have been the busiest we have ever been). I'll try it out in the next few days and get back to you...I can tell you for now that compared to the earlier iron pipe version this one is incredibly lighter...looking forward to trying it out.

So why can't you put it over your shoulder and fire it? I think Nick hooked you guys up with the updated handle, right?

Couldn't a person somehow attach two 3" posts on the end of the barrel and in front of the eye of the shooter on the barrel, where you would line up the two posts' tops as a gunning sight?

Mount a picatinny rail on it

I have been using this setup all season and like it. I was planning on mounting the picatinny in a more permanent way but with just the two sided tape and zip ties it has not budged. Having a lazer mounted proves just how accurate the APTA is.
I have not had a chance to use it yet but I just received a butterfly valve to replace the ball valve. Not only is the butterfly valve hand lever much easier to turn it will dump the air chamber faster. This should make for improved accuracy and height.

Attachments

• 20150425_103321-1.jpg
    20150425_103321-1.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 77
Yes, swing valve needs to be replaced with some sort of trigger mechanism.
Still I love it the way it is also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to hear more about the butterfly valve. I use my APTA all the time...I also have a Treestuff green laser I use with it...the laser does help.

The butterfly valve is so much better I can't believe Treestuff is still selling it with the regular valve!

WOW is right. I spent an hour just shooting throw bags all over the place last night. I'll get the thing dialed in later today. gotta figure PSI to height and distance. Only took a few shots at 120psi. I found out that I need a longer throw line with that. The redneck side of me is disappointed that a golf ball doesn't fit. Oh well. It's still a great addition to my gear.

I talked with a bunch of guys at the expo and some have switched to a butterfly valve and agree it's way better. One guy figured out a trigger system and put a bigger storage tank on it. We fired it off and damn. 200 foot of throw line gone in a second. Glad he had a heavier bag tied to the other end. I really don't see a practical side to being able to shoot that high but more power is a great thing.

I see the practical side of it. I shot over a 120' dead fir the other day, a la Dave from Montana, pulling my line down into place, snapping off a few branches in the process, but no worries, it was going away.

APTA, FTW! I'll interested in the butterfly valve.

PS. Hand tight is tight enough. If you want to remove the barrel from the valve for storage/ transport, its workable. I don't.

Cool!! I am waiting to see more about modifying release/trigger from slide valve...that should make the accuracy superb.

What is the state of laser-sighting with the APTA. Didn't you do something, Gary? Someone else, too?

I think that would help a lot of people embrace line-setting tools.

Back