Chip trucks

Page

TreeHouser
Time to upgrade to a real chip truck. Something respectable looking. Everyone tells me to get an old asblundt truck. They are great sometimes but typically they are real pieces of crap. There is probably a reason everyone has them. I'm thinking of spending 15-20. Mancab I could take or leave, as long as there are tool boxes and something bigger than a 10' bed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Time to upgrade to a real chip truck. Something respectable looking. Everyone tells me to get an old asblundt truck.

I don't have suggestions but am sure you will be happy with an upgrade. Good Luck with it!
cvb bnb
I was just posting re all the wacky pronunciations of "Asplundh"... Asblundt is a new one on me but I've heard Asplunk. Which reminds me, Moebark instead of Morbark.

Asplundh trucks are hit or miss. Some are trashed, and some are perfectly fine and can be had for next to nothing. Honestly, they are very simple trucks. Is the front still tight? Does the PTO work properly (the do come out of adjustment, remember that if looking at one), is there play or noise in the rear, and does the engine run right? Aside for looking for rust or structural flaws, there isnt much else to look at.

They are slow, and dont have the strongest rears on earth, but they can be a cheap investment with high returns. They can also be steaming piles of shit. But determining beat from work ready is cake on those trucks usually. The 366 engines are a dime a dozen too. I dont even think id bug out if I blew the engine in my chip truck. Id be more pissed at the down time then the engine replacement.

15-20k can get you a sweet rig outside of asplundh trucks. Ask Bud. Power, style, comfort, durability, etc. Like any tool, look at whats its task is. Look what your return on investment will be. Can you afford any downtime? Can you afford a diesel mechanic? Is the truck taking a lot of abuse on hilly terrain? Can you get parts for that brand easily and quickly?

A removable top and sides can go a long way if you have a loader or will get one. A man cab is nice if the heater works (mine still doesn't) for drying, but generally a waste of space and hard to get a lot of gear in and out (especially without a folding little step stool, game changer from that first 18"-20" or so step.

Mine is a 429 7.0 gas with a 5 speed. Likes to go about 55mph. All the people passing are sing the signage, right? The good thing about that tall box is putting my website in TALL letters across the top, both as a contact number, and brand recognition.

You think man cabs are a waste of space? I am not nuts over the open layout but man o man I can fit some serious gear in mine. Its like a small shed you take with you. Pain in the ass to get buried gear out though.

A waste of space in that you can only fill it about 1/3 or 1/2 way before being totally cluster fooked. I'd rather have more bed space. I would like a rear, locking, double door. One low door for holding chips. One high door for securing the contents of the bed.

Yes, man cabs turn into messes. I myself refuse to put tools in with chips anymore. My chip dump site has a LOT of money worth of petzl helmets, ropes, rakes, lowering blocks on slings, etc.......

By the time I figured out tools were gone, it would be difficult to figure out where in the dump they could be.

4e8yjaza.jpg

This was 11,500. All it has needed is a weld her and there and a good cleaning. The motor was refreshed tight before I bought it to the tune of 9,500. Granted, I got lucky. I also looked for a long time and was ready to pounce when the opportunity arose.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401116754.988992.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401116754.988992.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 115
Man cabs are awesome if you have lots of gear and like having it with you. We recently got rid of ours and switched to an L pack and gear storage is a pain compared to the man cab. If you are not getting a man cab, get a truck with much more storage than you think you will need.

We also stepped down to a F550 from a Topkick and I like the smaller sized truck but miss the storage. I think for your price range you will be able to find a real nice truck with what ever options you want.

I'm not thinking day to day storage, but would be nice to just huck the Arbor Trolley, hand truck, rakes, etc.

I don't connect all my big rigging, but it stays in a big lineman bag. All smaller rigging (biners, pulleys, cordage, etc) should be clipped together, and bagged or in a rubbermaid container. It takes much more time to make $300 in profit for some lost gear, than to compartmentalize it (have a compartment where you can know where it goes and where it will be, and to some degree makes it easier to visually check.

Also, being able to lock up a mini or log arch or the like that don't fit elsewhere, would be nice.

Problem with a top door is that it would block the truck signs if it were to fold and pin open like the lower door.

I'd second that notion that get more boxes than you think you can use.

Add in custom shelving in a tall open box, or build a little bed slide if helpful on a through-box, splitting the box into an upper and lower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a sweet truck. I'd love to rock something like that

Would you take 10k for that truck?

Tucker you missing a zero in there??...ha!

In cali here, this truck is worth gold because of the CARB law, its a gasser and wont be shut down like the older diesel motors will (tier2 and tier3)

trucks under 15K GVW will be ok like the 7.3 f250/f350......7.3 f450 up, bye bye

My buddy whos getting out of tree work has a 99' f450 4x4 with 7.3, 5speed stick, same dump and tool boxes and he wants 22K for his, but whoever buys it wont be able to re register it in a couple of years because of CARB....sell out of state would work but what a pain.

y6e7y2eh.jpg

Here's ours. 2013 F550 gas crew cab.... It's a tight fit with 2 of us and our gear. I think we have too much gear :-)
Seriously, this is a very good truck for us. Mostly prunings and smaller removals by most standards. It's able to haul way more weight than can fit in it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Add 4 WD Eric and I would go there with the gasser. BOTS is true to form. They are picking on diesel here in CA. I bet that even the ones they allow will be outlawed before you know it. Pretty soon we will be like Japan. Replace the damn car ever few years.

Back