Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Watching!

Always...I do eat lotsa chickenses...No bird flippin from me, Squish.... starlings are pests, I know. We don't have magpies here..... And crows endlessly pester other birds--bacause they are smart --smart asses, lol.

I'm doing penance for hitting a bird with a rock when I was a young pup..... I've long forgotten what kind of bird...

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Don't worry with my pellet gun skills it's mostly a scare tactic.

I get a lot of cool birds around my place but the magpies are what pushed me over the top. A clever, somewhat interesting bird that I wouldn't mind having even a few around. When like 25+ show up and squawk and carry on......well then it's time to move on.

And to prove my love of birds a pic of my young robin in my barn. Now Roger I don't want you stealing this shot for your albums without my approval.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	71620

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Justin, even though I'm a birder, I'm completely cool with your "shoot the pesky ones " way.
    I routinely annihilate any cat that enters the property, so who am I to point the finger at you.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

My father in law hates pigeons and starlings.

Starlings are very destructive.
    Winter is sure as hell here! I told you it was coming!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rbtree View Post
    And crows endlessly pester other birds--bacause they are smart --smart asses, lol.
    Crows, they are definitely hit listers for me (I hope Jay doesn't see this!). I've watched them gang up and draw momma birds off the nest too many times while another sneaks in and gobbles the babies to have much mercy on them.
    Ray
    In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. - Galileo

Hey Roger, there's so much gun talk on here I just assumed you shoot em with both depending on the mood/ hungry or not lol. Its now noted you're strictly photography. I'm also guilty of the rock thing, mine was a sea gull.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbrat View Post
    Crows, they are definitely hit listers for me (I hope Jay doesn't see this!). I've watched them gang up and draw momma birds off the nest too many times while another sneaks in and gobbles the babies to have much mercy on them.
    Wow that is crazy teamwork. Couple months ago i was up in a tree and saw a crow fly by with robin's egg in his beak, he landed on top of a utility pole and proceeded to dine on his harvest.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Cory Google crow intelligence, apparently scientists believe crows are as smart as a seven year old human... they can also conspire, recognize human faces & hold grudges

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Limbrat View Post
    Crows, they are definitely hit listers for me (I hope Jay doesn't see this!.
    Sadly, Crows are misunderstood. We could move this over to the religion thread and blame God for the way they are.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Or even for the way we homo sapiens are, I suppose . Makes crows look like the highest order of good Samaritans ever .
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."