Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Watching!

Good thread. The Cardinals are whistling in my neighborhood big time lately.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I like yardbirds, fried or baked.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterZero View Post
    I guess it is not really a hawk, but I like these little guys. Called a Nighthawk. Bug eater, acrobatic as hell.

Attachment 54940
    Jim, nighthawks are amazing birds. My Dad called 'em bull bats. I was turkey hunting last week, listening to some nighthawks before daylight and watching them when it got light enough. I don't know if they echolocate like bats but they make a chirp or beep every few seconds and then dive down to seize their prey and make that unforgettable "voom" sound as they culminate the dive, all done in twilight or darkness. I've heard that sound is caused by their feathers but I always thought it might be their jowls flapping in the wind as they open their huge mouths. I'll have to look that up.
    Ray
    In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. - Galileo

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Picture of the endangered 'Cahow' Bermuda Petrel, that I have had the privelege to be involved in some aspects of the recovery programme over the years.

I'm not a true 'twitcher' but I appreciate birds and know when I'm seeing something unique or a bit different. Learning the birds in Tasmania now, the blue wren is one of the cutest and most colourful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5915.JPG  
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Migratory Hippie Arbolist Sponsor rumination's Avatar

I helped out with some albatross banding back when I lived in Hawaii. I believe this shot is from 2007.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155 (Large).JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	54951

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

At sea on the Enterprise, during a storm, an Albatross flew into the hanger bay and I ran across him. He was weak as hell and about half dead... I put him in a box and placed it where no one could bother it and it could fly away when he was ready. I checked on it a couple times and he was happy as a clam. The storm passed and I checked the box - no bird. He wasn't white at all, all dark colored.

Migratory Hippie Arbolist Sponsor rumination's Avatar

The black ones are more rare Butch. Good on you for giving him refuge during a storm.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

I see these White Herons or Great Egrets regularly, often standing in the rivers. There used to be a large nesting area not far from my shop. Amazing that people would be living close, it was very noisy and stunk bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bird_photos_73.jpg  
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Been a birder since I was a wee tot. Came by it genetically, I suppose. My grandfather, E. Burnham Chamberlain, Sr., served for decades as curator of ornithology to the Charleston (South Carolina) Museum of Natural History...the earliest such institution in the US, established 1773. Co-authored the seminal book of South Carolina birdlife with Alexander Sprunt, back in the 1949.

Most recent interesting siting here at our small acreage in western Oregon is this fellow http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu...p_p_spp=566476.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

...though Turkey Vultures are not for everyone, Big awesome fliers and pretty ugly up close... some people over in NY hang Chicken carcasses out over a drop from their deck. Atracts a large group to feed, they all rest on the roof. Must look like like horror movie to the neighbors.