Bird Watching!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyway, the birds sure plentiful this year. I have never seen vultures on the place, might be a bad sign. Hired man watched one pick up a snake and eat it.

I am really looking forward to having these cover crops sprout and grow. Word is that the bird population just explodes after that.

Why would you want to beat me up in a dark alley Stig. Wouldnt it be more enjoyable out in the sunshine?

Makes good sense to me, martial arts and senses. I get that feeling from Gary too.

I think that the good hunter/gatherers have a set of sharper senses too.

What are you pissed off about today anyway?

Nothing whatsoever.
You asked a question, and I figured my answer was going off in a direction you didn't anticipate, so the dark alley thing was tounge in cheek.

Instead of flipping birds, let's go back to watching them!

Eagle_Soaring.jpg

No, I knew what you were gonna scold me about, I know that you are quite proud (and justifiably so) of your martial arts training. Like I said before, Gary talks about the same thing, warrior mindset and training.

I know know that being a warrior is more about just killing folks!

Yes, birds! It kinda bums me out that all the little birds that I spend all year watching out for, swerving for, and trying to protect will be hunted this fall.

I guess its either a hawk or a fancy bird hunter for them huns. I do my best to give them a chance.

When the hunters get back to their pickups with their tongues hanging out with empty bags, I just smile and nod.

Meanwhile, I have a hundred pheasants and 200 hundred huns scurrying about my yard and hay lot.

I have banned friends from hunting my whole farm for hunting in my shelter belt and haylot. That is my bird's safe zone.

What is a hun?
Except for a warlike German, of course.

Nope, I didn't.
I probably hung out at too high elevation for them.
Scientists call them Perdix perdix which is actually an onomatopoeia.
It is the written version of their call.
Sorry, just couldn't pass that opportunity up:)

Got two groups of them on my land, and since they are in SERIOUSLY decline here because of the intensive agriculture, I've decided that they are a protected species.
That means, I've told the hunters who've enjoyed free access to my land ( Except for the occasional dead deer delivered to Richard, my partner who is the opposite of a vegetarian) for the last 22 years that if I ever catch them with a dead Perdix, it is game over as far as hunting on my property goes.
That has worked fine so far.

Knife hunting of Bear and Boar was once a tradition here. Hunters used dogs to keep the animal occupied, and tried to stay out of sight until there came the opportunity. I don't think an abundantly practiced tradition. I know a chap who was once amongst the practitioners.

People do it over here also for wild pig, I don't see the attraction in reverting back to neanderthal hunting techniques. The dogs get maimed a fair bit also I believe....

I was told that with a gunshot, you can likely forget your chances of taking another animal in the vicinity. A professional hunter's concern when taking game for a living. With only a knife, no such problem. The ruckus from the dogs, would that be a factor? They did lose dogs, vicious dogs best for that kind of hunting was explained.

This guy was hanging around yesterday. I think he was looking to snack on a pigeon, or maybe one of the little chickens. I drove right up to him in the truck. He didn't even move when I set the air brakes.

IMG_20161003_084208218_HDR.jpg

Been working near our biggest lake today.
About 4 gazillion geese and a hand full of eagles.

Eagles above always brightens the day for me.

treetx, Dave's bird on the dumpster looks like a red tail to me?

I used to think turkey vultures were big and impressive carrion birds...until we got to put eyes on California condors at Pinnacles N.P....several orders of magnitude bigger and more impressive. Took my breath away.

I put out a feeder this morning after the blizzard yesterday, felt like the birds could use a little boost with all the snow cover and cold weather. It is amazing to me how they survive the brutal wind and cold.

Anyway they discovered it after a mere couple hours and worked it hard all day long. Buncha cool little birds with crested-type heads.

Back