Ramps and loading tracked mini-skid in chip box

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I am hoping that it can work to transport a mini in the box of my chip truck. I know at least Brendon has loaded onto the deck of his truck, about the same height, but I think its a wheeled machine, making the transition from angled ramp to horizontal bed, easy enough.

My thought is that pin on ramps will be safest. What I've seen are mostly straight ramps, so a tracked machine will tip at the transition point. If I can find more of an arched ramp it would work much better. I would be squeezing it into the truck by inches.

Maybe I shouldn't load a tracked machine on the truck that way, but it would work a lot better to drop chips locally to the jobsite, as needed, and then load the mini in the back, rather than moving a trailer in one trip, and chipper in the next, or always towing it with my pick-up, which is undersized for the chipper. I might have to get a tandem axle trailer and make two trips until I get a bigger towing vehicle.

Thoughts and experiences, please.

I've loaded my boxer into my 450 chip truck many times... It's a very smooth tip at the top when done slowly. Straight ramps were all I've ever used. Also use the same ramps to load into the bucket truck from time to time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Scott. I think that I have two inches to spare, so the operator would be ducking at the end of the loading, beginning of the unloading (that operator will be me).

You could always tip the box up a bit to smooth out the transition, pretty sure you won't need to though.

I pick mine up by the roll bar with the grab and drop it straight into the chip box…….

I load a grinder, wheeled admittedly, two things I do to help, tip the truck so that the move from ramp to truck is less severe.
And load it with the truck pointing downhill to lessen the angle further.
I only used straight trailer ramps also.

Just let it tip is what I do with the track loader and excavator. Arched ramps are typically weaker.

Loading my mini into my dump trailer the machine tips quite a bit and I carry a chunk of wood in the grapple to help it break over sooner, and the longer the ramps the less steep of an angle.

We made our ramps with grey pine and a couple steel tongues.
The angled tongues work great with the dingo. Ramps are 8 feet long. Longer than we need on the trailers, but work nicely on the truck.

I use 2" 8 foot oak planks to load my mini in the dump trailer and don't like it. I need to put ramp ends onto the ends of my planks and drop a bolt through them into the trailer deck. Im going to kick a ramp out eventually and want to prevent it.

boxer 532 is 54" tall. My box is 56-57" tall (ridges in floor). Seems like a heck of a squeeze, but possible. I know that the handle height doesn't include a hand on top. Is it such that you want your hands on top to operate the tracks with the two taller levers, or can you hold the vertical part of the handle and operate the tracks.

Its $1000 for ramps that are designed for 42" load height maximum, and I'm at 51".

I may just have to get a 7K tandem axle trailer with ramps for $2000, and get another tow vehicle sometime for the chipper. A dump trailer would be great, but they're moving up to $5k+.

Sean, can you remove the last two feet or so of your top? You'll then have the space you need to load the mini.

So that trailer has a GVW of 10,000? My 10 GVW has a load rating of 6,850. That's a steal for sure around here. I'd be wary.

Solid Southco forestry box, Bud.

Surge brake might bring the price down, I'm thinking. Fresh paint makes an old machine look good. What are the big things to check, besides being obviously bent and not pulling straight? My guess is 4 new tires, too old even if not too worn.

My guess is also two 3500 pound axles, so 5-5.5k payload. Wonder what one like that weighs.

Has a license plate, so its been titled/ registered.

This doesn't look nearly as skookum/ strong.

New, local alternatives http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/fod/4429354697.html
This new Top Notch flatbed trailer comes with the following options:

$1999

(2) 3500# axles with EZ lube hubs
Hidden pull out ramps
Bump rail
Stake pockets
D-Rings
Sealed beam lighting
2 5/16" A-Frame coupler
2K Top wind jack
4-Way brakes with break-away system
15" Bias ply tires

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flatbed Trailer 16.6 Ft. x 84" - $1799 (Grand Mound, WA)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/fod/4427061948.html
NEW 2014 16.6ft x 84" 7K FLATBED TRAILER $1799
*********with (2) EZ-Lube Brake Axles & ALL-WHEEL-ELECTRIC-BRAKES ****************
22ft x 84" wide 7K Deck w/4960 lbs of payload. . .. . .. . .. . .... . ... . ...$2399
22ft x 80 ½" wide HD 10K DECK w/7490 lbs of payload. . .. . .. . .. . .$2999

22ft x 80 ½" wide HD 12K DECK w/9290 lbs of payload. . .. . .. . .. . .$3399
22ft x 80 ½" wide HD 14K DECK w/11,290 lbs of payload. . .. . .. . .$3899

. . ..For 24ft Deck add $200 to above pricing, . . .. . .. . .. . .for 26ft Deck add $400 to above pricing

For other DECK LENGTHS, GVWR's & CUSTOM FEATURES. . .. . .. . .. . .call for MFG. pricing

For 7K model CAR / EQ LOADING "PKG" of
5ft Loading Ramps/Storage & 10-Stake Pockets. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . ..add. . ...$150

For HD models CAR / EQ LOADING "PKG" of
HD 5ft Loading Ramps/Storage & 10-Stake Pockets. . .. . .. . .. . .. . ..add. . ...$190

For a 22ft 7K TILT DECK with 5080 lbs of payload. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . ...$2999

Choice of Trailer Color @ n/c

2-Year MFG. Warranty
Bonded / License Trailer MFG

I'm sure they can add D-rings for tie-down points for $100 or so.

If the tires are bad, or the axles are 3500 not 5000 pounds, and the guy won't budge on price much, new would likely be better. The capacity would be nice.

So I gathered 5 lugs go on 1/2 ton pickups, and 6 were 3/4 ton. This trailer is part of a rental fleet at a local rental outfit. Says tires are 50 percent, and 6 lug trailer axles means 5000 pounds. I'm going to pick up a Steamboat Burger, yum, bacon cheeseburger with veggies, ham and a friend egg, and roll over to see it, 20 minutes or so.

I use 2" 8 foot oak planks to load my mini in the dump trailer and don't like it. I need to put ramp ends onto the ends of my planks and drop a bolt through them into the trailer deck. Im going to kick a ramp out eventually and want to prevent it.

yes you are. Do it.

can you start with extending the planks a hair, and running a 1/2 bolt down through the plank into a hole in the deck. I've loaded my grinder into my pick-up on plywood atop planks this way with some big spike nails between the bumper and the body. Enough to keep it from sliding until I got metal ramps.

or anchor the ramp ends to your tie-down points on the trailer/ truckbed?

Its hard to get to the store, and find the time to do projects. Maybe just a stopgap measure.

.......a mower guy around here runs his walk behind up into a 1 ton dump...two eight footers and two water jugs underneath about a third way up

If you're running a 532dx which it sounds like you will be, i would buy the 7K ramps from TNE. They are aluminum and we use them all the time to load mini and other equipment into the back of an F550 works great. The only change I would consider would be to modify the ends of the ramps to make them positively engage so they can't slip off. Not that that has been an issue but it'd be a nice peace of mind assurance.

jp:D

Sean, if you go the trailer route I would recommend a dump trailer. I have a 12 ft big tex dump and love it. well worth the extra money for a dump. I never knew before how much I would use it and handy it would be. I mainly use it for my mini, but also use it for lots of other things as well. Hauling gravel, firewood, wood chips, dump runs, etc. Much more possibilities with a dump in my opinion. my .02

I say dump trailer too. Part of the mini's value is in loading and hauling wood yourself in an efficient manner.

Back