Fishing 2014

Limbrat

TreeHouser
A buddy and I made a trip to a lake near the house here yesterday and had a blast. Caught about 60 bass between us and well over a hundred big bluegills. We caught the bass on topwater and plastic mostly, just about all the bream on a fly rod and popping bugs but they were hitting everything including big spinnerbaits. Kept a few bream and bass for a big fry tomorrow. Sorry for the sideways pics, still don't have it figured out. IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0338.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, it was nice! I needed a day like that, I haven't had the chance to fish but a couple of times so far this year. The bull gators in that lake were bellowing in the morning, it sounded like twenty or more roaring at the same time. It's a really neat sound if you've never heard it, sounds kind of like a lion's roar. Several of them were pretty aggressive and tried to eat our fish and lures throughout the day and my buddy hooked one when it grabbed his spinnerbait, about an eight footer. He fought it on the rod for a while and we had plans to rope him and drag him out for some pics but it finally broke his line.

I was fishing in the Pacific on a boat out of Malibu once. I hooked a very big fish, the captain came down and asked me if i was in the jackpot (when people that want to, chip in a dollar and the biggest fish gets the money). Yes. i was using a deep sea rig, of course.That darn fish spooled all my line, I could see the black spool, then i started to make progress in getting back line, until the line snapped. I will be disappointed my entire life as a result of that. At least i would have liked to see what it was. Sometimes I wish i had never gone fishing. Black sea bass or maybe a shark?

We used to fish the small creeks around town because they had some huge Northern Pike in them. I was using a popper and a monster just swam out and swallowed it. I could not lift him out of the water but did get his head up. I swear on my life that he smiled at me, bit right through the 50 pound steel leader and swam away. My buddy and I could do nothing but stare at each other and shake.

Good idea getting another thread started Ray. I promise I will take a day off and get some frigging pictures of the kids fishing, maybe me and the wife too.

Once, my uncle took me out fishing in his sail boat and I did not catch anything. He caught a small shark.
We get back in to dock in the SF bay and I start farting around on the end of the dock just for shats and giggles. My uncle watched as the rod bent damn near to the water and you could tell what I had hold of was big. Never did see what.. Bit the line clean through on steel leader. Probably would have broken the pole had it not. We used to laugh about that day all the time.. All day and shat for a catch.. and off the dock.. BAM..

That's a wild looking critter! I've never heard of a goblin shark before. I see the shrimper had a good catch of slipper lobster along with his royal red shrimp. Locally they're called bulldozers and they are mighty fine eating too. I used to do some shrimping back in the day and really enjoyed it until the state put so many regulations on gear that I had to quit along with most others. In the 80's there were about 50 boats that worked out of here, now it's down to 3 or 4.

I had a nice few hours yesterday catching trout on the fly rod. My local lake is no bad place to relax

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 63
Hey Pete, what kind of trout do you catch there? I have limited experience with freshwater trout, only a few wild rainbows and browns, mostly hatchery rainbows in my few forays into other states as our Florida waters are too warm for them. I am intrigued by the browns, they seem to be on a different intellectual level from the rainbows.

Hey Pete, what kind of trout do you catch there? I have limited experience with freshwater trout, only a few wild rainbows and browns, mostly hatchery rainbows in my few forays into other states as our Florida waters are too warm for them. I am intrigued by the browns, they seem to be on a different intellectual level from the rainbows.
Mainly rainbow in there. It is quite heavily stocked, but to a sustainable level & keep the fishing interesting.

I have only caught browns once (new to fishing last year) & it took quite a bit of time & patience. Very rewarding to catch though.

Hit the gulf (horseshoe beach) this morning at 5 nice day of it!
vemupy4a.jpg

And my first shark
e2e5a8y9.jpg

Nice trout RB, what were they hitting? Do you eat the jacks? Never fished Horseshoe, been to Keaton a few times scalloping.

Actually going to smoke the jacks today as a trial, no idea how it will turn out. The trout were hammering gulps first thing then the live shrimp. Keaton is were I go for the scallops usually as well!

Actually going to smoke the jacks today as a trial, no idea how it will turn out. The trout were hammering gulps first thing then the live shrimp. Keaton is were I go for the scallops usually as well!
I took a boy and his Dad fishing a while back and the boy caught his first fish, about a 15 lb. jack and Daddy naturally couldn't throw it back so he cleaned it and smoked it. I tried a piece of it and it wasn't bad. I went to Dog Island this evening and caught about thirty mullet, a nice flounder, a small grouper and a bunch of ladyfish. I saved the ladyfish for bait for the snapper opener this weekend.

I had never been fishing before, and my neighbour came over asking if I could do some mulching of branches for him and a small tree removal. Only took an hour and he asked how much he owed me, I told him instead of the cash howz bait a day on the boat fishing. It was awesome, really enjoyed myself and we bagged out of whiting too:thumbup:
J8)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back