Fishing 2014

Not quite fishing but went out shrimping with cast net and got great results for a first time caster.

R
udeve4a9.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, nice mess of shrimp Joel! Did you go over to Jacksonville? We used to dip them at night on the north end of Mosquito Lagoon in the Indian River when I was growing up. We cast net them here but it's hit or miss. I miss the days when I could drag a trawl behind my boat here in the bay. All the regulations put me and a lot of others out of business. I went cast netting Saturday and caught some mullet, they are just about to pop with roe and that's what's for lunch. I'm not much on the white roe but I like the red. Same with the gizzards, my wife and Mama-in-law loves mullet gizzards, me, not so much. We also caught some rock bass (black sea bass) which are about as good as it gets.

Off a pier in Green cove springs on the St.Johns made me sore after about 5 hrs of it!
8ft net tried a 12ft did well with that then a 16ft, I failed miserable! I can get mullet right here in our local rivers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Off a pier in Green cove springs on the St.Johns made me sore after about 5 hrs of it!
8ft net tried a 12ft did well with that then a 16ft, I failed miserable! I can get mullet right here in our local rivers.
I'm curious Joel, are you blind throwing or do you chum for the shrimp and how are you measuring your nets, radius (length from horn to lead line), or circumference? 14' radius is the largest legal net in Florida and would be a man to throw. 12 footers are as big as I can handle and then only off a dock or a boat. Never cared for river mullet, most are pretty muddy. Dog Island mullet on the other hand..... My son lives in South Jacksonville not far from Green Cove Springs.

I'd have those shrimp on the grill, in a steamer, in a broiler, a fryer, and a stir fry all at the same time. I'd be doing the double windmill with both my arms with cooking utensils.

Horn to weights was the measure afaik. I wasn't using chum but others were, saw everything from cat food,old fish cakes to water softener pellets:confused:

Back