Fishing 2014

Yes Steve, that is a shame such a creature had to be put down. Good article.

I wonder which kills more people, crocs/gators or sharks?

Crocs & hippos kill the most worldwide, sharks don't kill many in comparision. Here it's about even, but crocs are only way up north and there's a lot of beaches on the southern way around.

Pretty sure none of them will get me, not so sure about mosquitoes though. They keep coming up with new ways to get you.

Fatcat just poke'n fun at the pros, he means no harm...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yPmUEL6sRaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish I had a friend like Fat Cat. Must be a scream to hang out with, probably has good comments about everything. Hell of a karate kick!

b1326d60741dd49f36bc7a1cff5bc85a.jpg
0109aa53b684d7b5090b84fca1857925.jpg

Picked up a couple fall king salmon tonight

The ones I used to catch didn't seem that way, V. Excellent eating, especially when the fillets are cooked in one of those wire net things on the barbie.

Very nice Gary! What would those weigh?

From top to bottom: 8, 6, 9 and 3 pounds. Limit is 2 fish right now. If the quota is met by the end of this month, the state will make it a 3 fish per angler limit. :) Record year for Puget Sound Coho salmon this year. So it could happen.

Excellent, I love a good silver fight!

Me too. One of my favorite fish to catch. Funny thing is the smallest of the bunch is a wild fish, and fought the hardest. He was the only one to pop the line out of the downrigger clip. :)

Gary, they look like they may be a oily fish, are they?

Depends on what river they are headed for. If they are headed for rivers that they have to travel further upstream to spawn, they will have more fat and oil reserves. These are not as oily as the river they are bound for, the spawning grounds and hatchery isn't as far as others. Just enough to not make them too dry though. :)

Gary

That's a wild looking fish!!!!!

That fish has to be a fighter, right??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, they are so fast you wouldn't believe it. Tremendous fighters and quite a set of choppers too, without a wire leader you won't land very many. Jim, they have a high oil content and are excellent grilled or smoked.

Im not surprised to hear its speedy, its kinda built like a tuna!?!?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forked tail like a tuna but a little more hydrodynamically streamlined. I love to chum them up, throwing handfuls of live bait out to get them going and put novice fishermen (especially kids) in the middle of it all. It's a wild time with screaming drags and fishermen.

My wife caught a Spanish back down in Hatteras last year. Gave her a good fight and it wasn't even huge.

Years ago there was a fishing barge that they would anchor off the west coast of Southern California, sometimes tow it to different spots where the fish would be hanging out. It was rather large with an asphalt surface, could hold quite a number of people. A launch would take you out to it, and pretty cheap, it might have taken thirty or forty minutes to reach the barge. There was a cook shack on it where you could get a grilled burger and cold drinks. A swashbuckler lady named Lena ran it, and there were benches to chill on in the shade. She sold some gear as well. As a kid it was a great way to spend the day, both fishing and watching and shooting the sh*t with other fishermen. The close in catches were more like lucky, often lots of lines in the water, but there was a far corner behind the shack, where if you could cast out with distance with a spinning rig and feather lure, you could sometimes get into schools of Bonito that would be running out there. They seemed to move in and out a bit, but sometimes you could be fighting those fish almost the whole day. People away from that corner that couldn't reach the spot, would have envious looks on their faces. Bonito are in the same family as Mackerel, fast swimming good fighting fish. Not much you can do with Bonito, a very oily fish, but when you got back to the pier, there would sometimes be Asians waiting to take the large and heavy sack off your hands. They ate them somehow, maybe smoked and dried. The barge was very cool, but I don't think that they have it any longer. Parents didn't have to worry if their ten year old kid went out there with a bud, give them a few bucks for lunch and they were good. I got some bad sunburns though.

Back