tree climbing fail

BOTS

TreeHouser
glad this guy is ok, looks like his block sling failed??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0gQL-Zi_lUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
looks like the ground man didnt let it run.....

Human strength alone cannot smooth out that ride.

I know the climber in the video. He's a good guy. I haven't talked to him yet, but from what I understand he walked away with only minor scratches and bruises.

I have no idea why he tried taking such a big top. Norfolk Island pines are totally unforgiving in this regard. I think he definitely learned a lesson of some sort!

I don't see where the specie of the tree factors into anything. The climber took too big of a top for the guy running the ropes to handle.

I blame the climber for trusting his ropeman to handle that load.

Then, I blame the groundy.

Sorry for the double post Butch didnt even notice this one.

Just shows how easy it is to get greedy sometimes, and lucky he got off pretty easy this time.

Cheers
Ben
Again sorry Butch

Glad he is ok! I have to agree with Butch. That was a big top and horrible job on the groundies part. What concerns me is what if he was a good groundie that somehow made a mistake which led to this?

I don't see where the specie of the tree factors into anything. The climber took too big of a top for the guy running the ropes to handle.

I blame the climber for trusting his ropeman to handle that load.

Then, I blame the groundy.

Yeah, for sure there were multiple mistakes there. Too big a top. Groundie didn't handle the load properly. Rigging system was not strong enough for the load.

Maybe you're right that he would have gotten an equal beating on any other tree specie. But just for the record, Norfolk Island pines are VERY elastic compared to other trees, and even when taking a much smaller top it's not uncommon to get a whipping. Much more than any other tree specie I've dealt with.

Anyways, I'm glad he was able to walk away. We all watch a lot of videos of people doing stupid things in trees. This is the first time I've actually known the person involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know the climber in the video. He's a good guy. I haven't talked to him yet, but from what I understand he walked away with only minor scratches and bruises.

I have no idea why he tried taking such a big top. Norfolk Island pines are totally unforgiving in this regard. I think he definitely learned a lesson of some sort!

Leon give us some details if you talk to him.

Doesnt look like he was using a block but a type of X rigging ring of sort...to small of rope....way over WLL

I like what Reg C said to one of his groundies....."your job is not to hold/ stop the branch, but just to slow it down before it gets to the ground"
this is what I say to any ground man running ropes for me

Ouch is right. Big top, no run, and looked like his sling was the same size as the rigging line. Slowing it down, it looked like the sling failed where it was choked, no surprise there. I don't want to become a youtube star that way. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Im glad he's ok, that was a beating.

Limbrat, how do you slomo youtube vids?

I'm naturally squeamish so hesitate to watch these, but feel a kind of obligation so I don't repeat the mistakes.
Glad the guy is ok, that saw gave him a good spanking.

Back