Ice hockey

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Stanley cup fever time of year. I never knew much about ice hockey, it wasn't played where I grew up. Recently, I have watched a number of games and highlights from games, and better realize what a demanding sport it is, and the toughness and skill required to excel at it as a top level player. From the finesse of someone like Gretzky, to the violence of the enforcers whose job it was, maybe still is to some degree, to protect such players, the game seems to have a lot of facets to it. Even with the NHL penalizing rough play more, the thugs no longer such a crucial part of the game (is my understanding), there is still a lot of dirty stuff that goes on, sometimes rather mind boggling what a player can get up to with slashing and the like. Fans seem to eat it up. I've seen hits that look like attempted murder, and incredibly cheap shots. I know the game is greatly loved by a lot of people. I'm wondering what you guys that know the game, think about the rule changes that reduce the fighting, intimidation factor, etc? Some people within the game think it isn't such a good idea, it leaves smaller and more gifted players open to more injuries, since they aren't getting the protection that they need any longer. Wondering what your opinions are?

Back