Teufelberger 14mm Rigging line on going review.

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Soooooooooo......

I have recently retired a portion of my 1/2 stable braid rigging line and am soon to retire my 9/16ths line that has really done some work over the last couple years. Especially the last 12 months.
Soooooooo

Ordered 300 feet of the 14 mm Teufelberger Sirus line in anticipation of a dying 130 foot tall pondo over a house and deck that will need addressing this year and probably my first crane job should I land it.

We used the line for the first time today. 80-85 foot tall black oak partially rigged down. Heavy wood with good rigging points.

The Teufelberger 14mm is considered a 9/16ths line. It has a nice medium hand and knots well right out of the box, or bag for that matter... Kudos on the bag flaking my friend Nick...Was easy to transfer the line right into it's tub for use prior to the job. The Teufelberger feels more slender than the 9/16ths stable braid and it lighter than the SB per 100 foot.

This rope feels a tad different in the hand than the Stable Braid or Double Esterlon, yet behaves pretty much the same on the bollard. Stable braid is rated at 13,300 average breaking strength and 11.300 minimum breaking strength. Teufelberger comes in at a min breaking strength of 11,700 according to the Teufelberger site. I rarely hit my lines with more than 1000# anyway, and if I did, I would go to my 5/8ths.
We ran a few 800# plus pieces fast with out any glazing. Nick has shown this rope may be a tad better at heat resistance than SB. Could very well be. The 9/16ths SB glazed today a tad. Nothing major... just a tad. was a pretty fast run as well.
The rigging was done on both a block and a FS with steel rings using a large porty. The R2R friction saver hockled the rope a tad, but not bad. I think a lot of this was because it was not broke in. Two devises that add friction will hockle most ropes from my experience anyway. Nothing that was severe enough to cause anyone any grief what so ever.
So far we like the rope. I will also try their 13mm and/or 12mm soon I hope.
I will continue updating this thread as we use the rope on other jobs.

Big thanks to Nick for the opportunity to try this rope out. :thumbup:
Thank you Tree Stuff for the great deal with our discount and all. :thumbup:
Only thing I can't give Tree Stuff are my rush orders. Just saying.
WesSpur has my order here in two days where Tree Stuff is a week unless I have them ship it faster.
Tree Stuff will be seeing more orders from me in the future, just not all and I will be recommending them as well.
Fact is I tried to sell the APTA today to our client that is involved in Search and Rescue operations locally.

:)

The rigging was done on both a block and a FS with steel rings using a large porty. The R2R friction saver hockled the rope a tad, but not bad. I think a lot of this was because it was not broke in. Two devises that add friction will hockle most ropes from my experience anyway.
:)

What exactly does that mean? Did you rig through a block at one point in the tree AND a FS (ring/ring with the rope thru the rings in another part of the tree)...to distribute the rigging forces over two separate points?

If so, why not just use two blocks at different points in the tree...I have never used my R/R friction saver for rigging...is it meant for that? I only use it when blocking down a spar for my lifeline.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:D
What exactly does that mean? Did you rig through a block at one point in the tree AND a FS (ring/ring with the rope thru the rings in another part of the tree)...to distribute the rigging forces over two separate points?

Yes on different rigging points. I rigged the smaller stuff on a R2R friction saver. Pretty much the same as you see guys rig off those X rings. Just add two steel rings to a loop runner.
We had a situation where I had thrown some tops off the first leader and my climb line some how got wrapped on a branch collar just right well down below me while retrieving the rigging line. The weight of the line locked it good. Normally I would have just set a block. But it became prudent that I just set something easily retrievable or expendable in the tree on the leader I needed to rig from. I had to descend SRT since my line was caught to fix it. No point in going all the way back up to the main leader to reset everything as it was the first and last part of the climb. We also had a sudden fuel issue with the Wraptor so rappelling and climbing back up 75 feet was just silly. SO descend, untangle the climb line, climb up the next leader and set a R2R. Take the smaller stuff off from the fishing pole. Then set a block as needed on a second line. Go back up for throwing the wood I could and abandon the R2R for the larger wood as needed. Saved a great deal of mucking about.

If so, why not just use two blocks at different points in the tree...I have never used my R/R friction saver for rigging...is it meant for that? I only use it when blocking down a spar for my lifeline.
Depends on the R2R set up my brother. I have rigging rings rated all the way to 30,000 and I used steel rings rated for 6000 for this.They will not be used for life support.

Good explanation...understand now do I. Thanks for the detail.

(I do hate it when my climbing line gets bollixed up on something like that -- Murphy is always lurking somewhere)

Half hitched itself.. ticked me off and messed with my plan... Just had to be light on my toes ;)
I did not leave stubs wither for this very reason.. and it picked a 6" collar to lock onto ... I was not happy... :lol:
But I was thankful I was using a HH. ;)

The rigging was done on both a block and a FS with steel rings using a large porty. The R2R friction saver hockled the rope a tad, but not bad. I think a lot of this was because it was not broke in. Two devises that add friction will hockle most ropes from my experience anyway.
From my point of view, it's more a problem from the tight bend radius on the steel rings than the number of friction gears.
Having two rings side by side doesn't help at all, because it's always the same radius, just two successive quarters instead of a half turn. Same damage on the rope.

If you put a fixed block instead of the rings in this same configuration, or a second porty at your FS, the rope wouldn't suffer at all.

The tight bend radius kills the ropes under serious load, moreover when the rope slide on it.

How is the stretch compared to Stable Braid?

The stretch seems similar and not any more than SB would. I would like to do some pulling with the rope for ma better fee for any elongation factors. The rigging we did yesterday really did not hit the rope hard. Mostly gin pole and fast runs.So far it seems to have pretty much the same elongation, maybe slightly less.

From my point of view, it's more a problem from the tight bend radius on the steel rings than the number of friction gears.
Having two rings side by side doesn't help at all, because it's always the same radius, just two successive quarters instead of a half turn. Same damage on the rope.

If you put a fixed block instead of the rings in this same configuration, or a second porty at your FS, the rope wouldn't suffer at all.

The tight bend radius kills the ropes under serious load, moreover when the rope slide on it.

And this is why this was done as a plan B with only lighter loads. It was a good test for heat resistance on fast runs, even if unintentional. The X ring system supplies a better turn radius than my quick fix in a pinch. Block is best and was of course used for the larger pieces as needed once the next rigging point was set. The first rigging point was set on a leader that did not need climbed again and was only drifting tops no more than 200# or wood less than 300...

Just a tid bit...
We have not done it yet... but will and comment on our findings.
Natural crotch rigging. I have a suspicion that Stable Braid will out perform it on this application. The braids are tighter on the jacket of the SB vs the Teufelberger. The Teufelberger should pick easier judging by it's construction. We shall see.

Good to hear because I've been eyeing this rope and the sterling atlas to add to the stable.

I really want to try their 12mm line as well ... I think It would be nice for speed line or zip lining the tall ones. 7lbs per 100 foot. And if it is as heat resistant as I have heard, it would be a good line to have in the kit.

Never noticed any, but I don't stretch my limits Sean. As far as stretch.. I will apply different higher forces to play with/test stretchy... ;)

DSC03687.JPG

I've enjoyed working with this rope. I got it specifically to run with a Pinto Rig, and in that fashion it works like a champ. Please keep us updated on how she lasts CV.

8)

Just an update...
Did some speed lining with the 14mm. Worked a charm.. Hit it with some decent wood and a substantial top. This rope feels like it has less stretch than the SB. Have not had any real milking issues like I did with DE from Yale.
The rope also seems to hold it's shape better. We are noticing a difference on the bollard and portys. The crew is being more consistent with running a line with it. Seems to flatten out less on load. That would explain it IMO.
I would recommend a different rope for NC rigging. Not to say it won't hold it's own. But it does pick easier than SB on rough bark.
Runs great through steel blocks, pintos...
Love the lighter weight.
I really NEED to get some 12mm now. I mean I reallyyyyyyy NEED to... :lol:
I am liking this rope in our kit.
Still love my SB, but the Tuefelberger is beautiful rope.
Now it is more up to just being tough ... SB is hard to beat in this respect. I can beat the shat out of SB and it keeps performing. Mind you, I never shock my ropes at more than 10% of the rated strength :/: (unless we are yarding :lol: ).
I'm sold.

I've found there is a lot less melting on the jacket when you let the sirius rope run on NC rigging as opposed to the stable braid.

Just an update...
Did some speed lining with the 14mm. Worked a charm.. Hit it with some decent wood and a substantial top. This rope feels like it has less stretch than the SB. Have not had any real milking issues like I did with DE from Yale.
The rope also seems to hold it's shape better. We are noticing a difference on the bollard and portys. The crew is being more consistent with running a line with it. Seems to flatten out less on load. That would explain it IMO.
I would recommend a different rope for NC rigging. Not to say it won't hold it's own. But it does pick easier than SB on rough bark.
Runs great through steel blocks, pintos...
Love the lighter weight.
I really NEED to get some 12mm now. I mean I reallyyyyyyy NEED to... :lol:
I am liking this rope in our kit.
Still love my SB, but the Tuefelberger is beautiful rope.
Now it is more up to just being tough ... SB is hard to beat in this respect. I can beat the shat out of SB and it keeps performing. Mind you, I never shock my ropes at more than 10% of the rated strength :/: (unless we are yarding :lol: ).
I'm sold.

I also think you NEED to try the 12mm and report back to us, especially for speed lining.
Was that the push you needed:/::lol:
J8)

The 12 mm just showed up at the door today and the job got moved forward to yesterday and today. :|:
I am sure I will find something to run rope on and play with it a bit.. :D
Review will be in the near future.
Thanks for hooking me up Nick ! :)

I just got the 14mm because of this thread. Bought some x-rings to go with it and I love the combo. Wrecked some huge tops out of some pretty tall cottonwoods this weekend, no glazing of the rope but I did notice it flattened out pretty good with some load on it... But over all I like the feel of the rope and it knots good.

Back