APTA in Primetime!

You should probably offer the pump, too. Never heard of a schrader valve.

fancier road bikes take a special valve called a presta valve. Narrower diameter stem, maybe because of the rims???
Bike pumps have a little built in adaptor that flips over to convert between these two.

This is awesome nick! I'm really happy for you getting this to the next step. Can't wait to get one. I just wish I had taller trees here. Pretty much nothing here I can't clear by hand. But I'm going to get one anyway.

Just ordered one. Dave gave me the plans to build but, seeing as how I haven't the time, and you guys have taken the time, I am more than happy to pay for that. Thanks guys! I can't wait til it gets here. Now I have to get a pump? I saw one of those battery jumpstart thingy's at costco the other day that has a built in air compressor and was thinking that might work?

... I saw one of those battery jumpstart thingy's at costco the other day that has a built in air compressor and was thinking that might work?

I'm sure it would work Cody, but the APTA pumps up so easily and fast with a hand pump that it would be the better and more versatile choice. Much better for making multiple shots that are away from the truck.

David

I have been using the regular two tone fabric bags from Weaver or Sherrill in 10 oz. with 1.75 Zing-it.

I'd imagine the same parameters are involved no matter what the delivery method is. The higher you need to go, the lighter the line and throwbag.

I'm never able to get 10 oz down no matter how light the line

That is because you are using just enough power with your hand tossed weight to get over your target limb. With the APTA you have more options. I will often use enough power to not only reach my target but pass it with enough force to clear the rest of the canopy. The 10 oz. bag always comes back down. You can set a line in two trees with one shot.

Having the APTA will definitely open up new possibilities.

That is because you are using just enough power with your hand tossed weight to get over your target limb. With the APTA you have more options. I will often use enough power to not only reach my target but pass it with enough force to clear the rest of the canopy. The 10 oz. bag always comes back down. You can set a line in two trees with one shot.

Having the APTA will definitely open up new possibilities.

That is well put, Dave...I'm like Kevin, thinking 10 oz. sounded too light. I often use 14 oz. and sometimes have trouble with that depending on the bark of the tree...but that is often when the bag just clears the limb and only drops a foot or so below a crotch.

But with the APTA capability of shooting well past a target limb the momentum should be a good asset...good thinking outside the box.

Yes, the 12 oz. bags work great also. I have just had such good luck with the 10 oz. bags that it would take a special situation for me to bother breaking out a 12.

I wonder if you could hook up a quick release and a spring for the trigger? A spring on one side and the release on the other. Release the release and the spring pulls the valve leaver smartly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I personally like a heavier bag but the truth is Dave has more experience using APTA than anyone .

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I was setting lines for some deadwood removal up in the hills today. This old timer seemed really impressed. I let him hold it and he never once took his eyes off it.

APTA Review.JPG

Back