Tulip Poplar dripping sap, attracting insects. Discuss.

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
HO has a TP which is uncommon here. Never worked on one. New homeowners with young child. Tree allegedly drips sap which attracts insects, which makes the backyard less usable on this typical, small residential lot in town.

Internet research points to 'scale' infestation. What is your experience with treatments? A quick look shows spraying, and trunk injection (would be more appropriate for the HOs sensibilities)?

I know nothing about tulip trees but that sounds like aphid discharge "honeydew" which is sugary and attracts wasps and the like. Happens on maples and limes over here.
Probably wide of the mark though .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know nothing about tulip trees but that sounds like aphid discharge "honeydew" which is sugary and attracts wasps and the like. Happens on maples and limes over here.
Probably wide of the mark though .

Wide of the mark...off target?? I don't read you clearly. My thought is honeydew of some sort.

Bob, I haven't seen it yet. I recommended they call the local spray/ injectable PHC company in town, as a starting point. Seemed timing is key. I don't do any injections at present, as I have had almost no call for it.

La Bec, speaking of limes, how Big do they get, I was just discussing them with someone last night on a tree tour. Do they produce citrus limes? I always think of orchard type citrus trees, and was surprised at the size of euro limes from pictures.

Bob, I haven't been out to see it yet.

Ahhhh limes in the UK are not fruit producing limes. It's a misnomer, in truth they are linden trees or tillieuls in French.
A big deciduous "hardwood"

I don't have any thoughts. I grew up around tulip poplars. Here where I live and operate, they aren't common. I don't really deal with them and any of their issues very often.

Regarding a leaf sample. Penn State University has cooperative extension offices in most counties in my state and I drop off samples a fair amount when I cant put my finger on the issue. $10 and 10 days later I have a solid answer.

Thanks, Chris. Are you higher elevation or something. They are close-ish to you, no? I'm 3000 miles from most of 'em.

I agree with La Bec, it sounds like aphids. Did the homeowner mention anything about the ground under the tree being sticky?

The few Tulip Poplars I worked on in Seattle were covered in aphids/ sooty mold. The sidewalks below were like walking on flypaper, definitely something the HO would remember.

If it is aphids, you could try a hort. oil spray. Very nontoxic stuff, safe for kids and pets.

I agree with La Bec, it sounds like aphids. Did the homeowner mention anything about the ground under the tree being sticky?
If it is aphids, you could try a hort. oil spray. Very nontoxic stuff, safe for kids and pets.

This sounds about right, but spraying with oil is kinda messy. Lots of Liriodendron aka tulip polar here but few get aphids to a pest level, and never on healthy trees: "Tulip tree aphids (Illinoia liriodendri) commonly feed on the underside of the tree's leaves early in the growing season. Aphids feed on tree sap and cause pale, yellow spots on leaves and may also make leaves curl or pucker and distort blooms. The insects ingest more sap than they need and secrete the excess as honeydew, which leads to sooty mold. Aphids generally feed on trees that are under some sort of stress, such as compacted soil or drought. Heavy infestations cause leaves to turn brown and drop off."

As usual, fixing the soil tends to fix the pest issue. Also just blasting them with a hose cuts down on the numbers (and rinses away the sticky stuff too). also the more birds and good bugs that are around the better.

Aphids for sure, Sean. We have quite a few liriodendron in the Seattle area. Injection is effective for aphids, which are common with tulip trees.

Thanks, all.

I suspect Wolbert's will have it covered for them on the insecticide part, and I'll look into site stressors.

Back