How do you flush cut a large stump?

jalegre0

TreeHouser
Do you place a wedge or twigs in tree when nearing the end?
While cutting do you have someone push on stump so it doesn't pinch?
Or like most of my guys encounter, there cut doen't meet. It is about 4 inches off from where they started and ended
Out of all the people I've seen or worked for in the past everyone always flush cut the stump this wy.
I bet the list goes on.
I dont really have that much video of flush cutting but this video.
Like to hear how you guys do a flush cut, or do you do it the same way as i do? As shown below

P.S. Thanks for showing me how to embed video alot easier to review post vs. link

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was referring to if you did not have one. in back yard for example.
That stump in pic of your profile. without any help from a machine can u flush that through to other side w/out any help from machinery ? Or wedge, except to get the blade out after you made your cut it all the way through the stump?

Sure, I'm sitting on the floor of my notch. Add a back cut and the stump is ALAPed.

We make it a point to have a loader for every occasion! But if I didn't, a wedge or flat bar would work. Don't own any wedges though.

I cut all the way thu and leave a small strap holding the kerf open, pull the saw and snip the last little bit from the outside. Done!

Wedges more than half way in, on both sides (cutting from 12:00 to 6:00, place wedges at 4:00 and 8:00, when the stump comes free, it will open the keft. If not, you can hop on the stump and try to break it free levering over the wedges as fulcrums.

If I have a 40" stump and a 36" bar, I dog into a buttress root and sweep, leaving a strap on the root. When I have swept my way around the stump, I cut the little strap on the buttress roots vertically, then cut the severed strap off horizontally at the buttresses and slide. No wedges.

Or sticks.

I just jam a large felling bar into it, as I finish my cut.
That works against pinching and for levering it off.

I'm a professional logger, so my cuts always match:D

Backchaining can help against pinching, as it fills the cut up with chips, but I hate making a big cut like that without being able to use the dogs.

...me like all the others, wedge(s) plus a sharp saw will do nicely... a file as well, HaHa...the big trick in my bag is boring out out as much meat as possible driving in level at the cleanest point I can find...gonna go dull no matter what working at the root flare of big ones, saves me filing time...and of course my cuts match up true and level but it took years, many cases flushing other worker's stumps...also in extreme cases I rip cut or split off with maul sections at at a time as they are usually going on the trailer anyways...my two cents...Dave

Sticks, wedges, back cuts, out side cuts, quartering... I do what it takes to go low in my residential work... Probably use sticks more than anything as they are always handy as are the wedges. If we can't get the mini to it, we make it smaller, if we can... shove into bucket and ride. No worries.

I love it when the customers say"could you leave it at 2ft so we can make a table out of it?
Yes ma'am no bother at all!

I love it when the customers say"could you leave it at 2ft so we can make a table out of it?
Yes ma'am no bother at all!

It's actually so common here that I ask before I ALAP. Some want garden tables or a pot stand. Chair. Shit I have had one guy ask me to cut them all bar height so he has a place to reload and hold his beer as he walks about his section of woods shooting.

In my world, the same holds true in the forest.
...we do as well, but resultant low falling cuts to get every board foot out are never truly flushed logging...do you guys have to flushcut that last bit off level...??....sometimes on view jobs I spec for the last flushcut for asthetics plus less regenerative stump growth

I use sticks, wedges or whatever I can find to jam in the cut.

I ream-out the last little bit of the stump/log. That way it don't sit down on my bar like Jamin's. Who cares about a tiny little added depression in the flush-cut, and/or log? Shoot... a pretty stump is one with a perfectly sawn Humboldt still in it.

Sometimes if the stump has to go low or it's real dirty chopping the bark off with an axe first can save your big bar and chain a lot of grief.

I specify alap without cutting dirt. I won't ruin a chain on every removal for the sake of a couple of inches. No way.

Back