Labor-Saving Techniques and Tools

That fella in the picture can leg press a thousand pounds. He is strong. He will get weak with the mini.

Um, no he can't. But he is strong, no doubt. What's with the shiny wheelbarrow?

Really, he was able to at one point. Not anymore. A sports injury ended that.

Shiny wheelbarrow? Never used the thing much over the years. Mulching jobs here and there. Moving wood now and again.

He couldn't squat that much. He always told me 1000 pound leg press isn't mind boggling. Kind of like "Its not what you think".....

I could do a 1000lb leg press in high school my best squat was 410, 315 dead lift, 265 bench. Ahhh the glory days!

Those are good lifts Rajan. Back in the day when I worked out at our local gym the leg press machine only had enough room to hold 19- 45lb plates which totalled my 855 lift.
Plus the other members would get a little p-offted when I hogged all the plates:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That thing isn't doing you a bit of good on the job I'm on right now.... Removing oak trees from a raised deck. Everything gets rigged down. Once on the deck everything gets diced up and tossed over the edge to the ground below.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On the other hand, is it possible to pull stuff up, and speedline it out from over the deck? A portable powered puller that can then carry big stuff to the chipper might change the way to do jobs. Maybe not your job, but I've had two maples (60' spread) that had to go into a 15' hole between two houses, over skylights and a glass entryway roof. I used my pick-up with POW to lift then lower larger leads than I would ever have done without pulling power.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its amazing how you can spin medium logs on a pivot point (chunk of wood under the Center of Gravity). I spun a 20' cedar log in the yard for loading onto a grapple truck simply by balancing it and spinning.

I had some larger walnut lots about 6-10' long that we rolled out of a back yard down along the side of the house to the road. When the taper of the log rolled it too far sideways, rolling it up onto a branch laid in the right spot allowed for easy correction of the course. It was maybe 100' to the road, with a 90 degree turn.

If you have to load a trailer without rolling up a ramp, you can build 'steps' our of rounds, which when positioned correctly, and with good technique, allow you to "walk" rounds up the stair/ stairs. If you tip the round from the flat side onto an edge, you can balance it, roll it on edge to the right spot, and get it partway up on/ over the step or trailer and let it down. It will be laying against the edge of the 'step'. You can use your legs to push the round up onto the 'step' fully.

I did this last when I had to cut a stump down low and noodle it into 7 pieces to barely get into the trailer. Two people could have worked together to make it easier, but I was able to do it alone, without ever lifting more than 1/2 the weight, and at that largely with my legs and without my back.

does any of that make sense? I know pics will help.

my zipline setup, rigging, pulleys, & grcs
IMG_1897.jpg IMG_1903.jpg IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1937.jpg
The Bocat is a good addition but those mini's you guys have do alot less damage on turf.
But when it comes to Storm Work bobcat is king
IMG_3934.jpg
SPider jack been using for the last 2 seasons once I got used to it I feel like a younger man in the ease of movement anywhere on the tree
Photo on 11-19-13 at 10.41 PM.jpg
My biggest Labor saving tool my grapple truck if I only have one guy I will run this truck only and stuff the whole tree in the back. It can lift 15,000 lbs . Usally the only reason I have to cut the wood is so I can fit it in the truck or take it out the back yard IMG_0716.jpg
IMGP2542.jpg

Yep just a turn of the key fires up the chipper and powers the 7 ton hoist real nice. Set at fast idle the hoist goes up quick.
Also looking at tying a hydraulic capstan winch in too, will mount it for easy rope access at the back of the trailer.

I forgot to mention that the chippers feed roller control bar is also the control for the hoist. Forward is up, reverse is down. I teeded 2 way valves into the hydraulics to separate the feed roller and hoist.
In order to add the winch I would then need 3 way valves.

I originally built this trailer unit over 10 years ago in my 2 car garage. Many upgrades since, just this morning I put 4 new tires on it making the trailer about 2 inches lower for easier infeed chute access.
I bought these Chinese made West Lake ST 225/75R15 E rated 10 ply. Very nice looking trailer tire and heard good reviews about them, but am told they don't make a very good car tire though.

It's very clever Willard, suited for you and the North American market. In Europe the space issue would make it a bit difficult.
I tip my hat to you though, maybe a log splitter off the chipper hydraulics as well?

Back