Foot Ascender question

Raj

TreeHouser
I've tried searching on this site, but haven't found a thread dealing with this subject.....

What would be the most "rope friendly" foot ascender for 1/2 inch arbormaster rope?

Thanks,
Peter

I reckon most of us have a Petzl Pantin...works great on 1/2". You just need to decide which foot you prefer and get the appropriate one, left or right.

The new petzl will work but I question the sharp teeth picking the rope. The ct has a larger groove and less aggressive teeth and I think I like it better on a 1/2 inch line
image.jpg
image.jpg

Never used the CT, but seems to have people liking it.

Does it lock open like a petzl hand ascender, or does the CT have the option to open and close the cam with your other foot like the CMI?

My ct has yet to kick out on me. I've not had it more than a month but I've climbed a good bit on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input and the pictures! I've read a few preferences towards the CT, but without a reason. I'm leaning towards ordering the CT.

Thanks,
Peter

Wow I didn't realize the new Petzl what that much more spikey!

Heck looking at that picture you can see why the ct stays put on the rope.

CT has had a weak spot in the recent past though. They are supposed to be fixing it. Where the strap runs the back of the ascender. The newer Petzl is not all that on 1/2 rope from my understanding as it is smaller.
The CMI is a nice unit.

I don't see much damage on the rope by the spikey cams during usual use, except if you try to open it if you still have a load on it.
I saw that during my rooky days, when I fought with my gear, switching the croll to the 8 after the ascent.
With a little care, it became ok.
I never noticed that with the Pantin.

I think the nice thing about the pantin would be that there is no locking mechanism if you're wearing it with spikes on. I wore my ct today with spikes and I had to keep messin with it to get it off the rope because the little lever couldn't open all the way because it was hitting the shank.

I have the old Petzl for my left foot and the new one for my right foot. I find the new Petzl a bit small and fiddly.
On a recent Arbtalk thread a few people preferred the CT over the new Petzl.
I wish I'd bought the CT (which came to the UK a week after I bought the new Petzl!).

I'm just waiting for Treestuff to get the new Camp ascender.
The idea of adding rollers to speed the rope along seems logical.

That looks really good Stig. I found myself going back to the Petzyl because I didn't like being locked in like the CMI does But I don't seem to have much trouble with the rope coming out when I don't want it to though with the Petzyl. The CMi is definitely a better built unit though.

That looks really good Stig. I found myself going back to the Petzyl because I didn't like being locked in like the CMI does But I don't seem to have much trouble with the rope coming out when I don't want it to though with the Petzyl. The CMi is definitely a better built unit though.

The Camp does look good. I have real issues with the Petzyl and 7/16" rope. Try as I might, I just can't seem to keep it from popping out. Any tips?

bigger biner in the hole,

and do you know the 'proper' motion? If I recall correctly, its described as flexing at the hip, lifting the knee, and keeping the lower leg somewhat vertical, pointing the toe.

Sean, I've tried everything. If I keep the line weighted and am VERY careful I do okay. This is a new pantin with no 'biner hole. The spring seems extremely weak compared to my other ascenders, don't know if that's a factor or not but I'm frustrated with it.

The easy pop out is an advertising point for this gear, so it doesn't surprise me that the spring keeping it close seems weak in front of the others.

To pop it out, you have to kick your foot back and up. Like that, the rope lays only on the came, the upward movement pushes down the cam and opens it, freeing the rope from the Pantin's body. With a stronger spring, the cam wouldn't open so easily.

Keeping the rope in the Pantin needs a particular movement which doesn't seem natural for me.

To keep the rope in place, it must stay against the back of the aluminum body, at least partially at the top. You can raise your leg with your foot slightly forward the vertical of the next fixed point of the rope ( next ascender, hitch on the saddle ...) or tilt your foot downward.
A little beefier rope helps for this matter.

Just a little cautious training I suppose, but I can't put my mind on it on the job (either for keeping or freeing the rope !).:|:

Back