Stumper Industries Hydraulic Grinder Attachments

lumberjack

Young man on the go
I've seen them for a few years, but only recently did I start looking (Saw them a '13 TCIA Expo). www.stumper3500.com

One of their pictures I've seen around.
Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 8.58.25 AM.png

I bought the smallest model, with an advertised gpm range from 10-15GPM, although that's conservative on both ends, more so on the high end. I picked it because it would be suitable for many machines I deal with, although its main carrier for my work is planned to be the excavator. It's also the right model to go on mini skids, most mini excavators, and Gehl/Avant loaders.

Its design is super simple, there's the mount, housing, motor and cutter wheel. The cutter wheel is similar the Sandvik (Revolution/Razor) system with the addition of blocks to act as rakers for the teeth for a smoother, controlled cut. All the hydraulic models will fit on all the hangers, so for example you could have a mini mount and excavator mount (attach your specific ears to their blank plate) and switch the attachment back and forth. I have all 3 hangers to play with (I did run it on my track loader for 4 stumps at my folks!)

Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 9.03.42 AM.png

My impression thus far is it's a solid design, production is dictated by the power you put to it. If you're used to high power self propelled grinders like I am, the performance is dismal with such low hydro hp from the excavator. However it will allow me to grind stumps that others can't, and those will bring a premium. Also I can take the attachment (300lbs maybe) with the excavator so on certain jobs I can grind while I'm there and not bring the dedicated grinder out on a second trip. For folks with a mini, it would allow them to grind stumps without having to invest in a dedicated grinder. My theory is the larger minis will out perform my excavator in hydraulic hp... I need to buy a flow meter and start testing (anyone have a couple grand I can have?:lol: )

Here's a video of the second stump I ground with the excavator mount. These stumps were underbid by me last summer, he gave the go ahead last month. I didn't appreciate how close the bricks were on the 3-4 sides and that makes grinding much more tedious. This job was $125 and took ~70 minutes of grinding for both stumps; this video only shows the second.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a5J80l78xH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The second job was right in the wheel house of this attachment, although the ~22" oak stumps and roots took longer than I'm used to with my 83hp self propelled grinder! This job took 40 minutes including messing with the camera, 32 minutes of actual grinding time, 22 of that on the oak stump. This job was also $125 and was bid knowing this attachment was on the way.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BbOPcCp1q-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope to have video of it on a Boxer in the next couple weeks.

Then it comes to the almighty dollar. The mini skid mount costs the same as the excavator mount (which you weld/bolt your specific ears to), the full size skid steer mount costs $200 more. The smallest hydraulic, the 220 Low Flow Ex/Mini mount, lists for $4,495. The biggest hydraulic, the 280 High Flow Ex/Mini mount, lists for $7,095. The PTO version lists for 10,295. I can cover shipping inside the Continental US AND offer my usual forum discount of 2% on all models. If we get a group (2+) of folks buying at the same time, I can put together a group deal. If someone wants a bigger unit, there is also more room to work and I would love to get some video of the 3pt version working.

Depending on interest, I might buy another 220 low flow and possibly a 280 high flow to be a traveling rent to own type setup for forum members. The renter would be responsible for the shipping from wherever the unit is to themselves and back to me unless there is another person wanting it in which case it could go to them. Passing from member to member would be preferred to cut down on the shipping. Rent would be weekly at the shortest, and rent time would exclude shipping time. If the person decides to purchase, a percentage of the rent paid would go directly towards the purchase price. They would have the option to buy the rental unit at a discounted price, or return it and have a new unit shipped down at standard pricing. There are some details to work out, but that's a general idea of what I'm thinking.

Thanks for taking the effort to post all that, stump grinding is clearly a cut throat business over there, 125 bucks for the job on the last video!
Acting as a devil's advocate (a role I have played from time to time) it was only the one by the wall that needed special attention, the rest could have been done with your biggun, bring a spade and lift a few shrubs if need be.
Maybe a little 18 hp petrol pedestrian grinder could do the awkward ones. They cost buttons and can sit for months doing nothing until their time comes.
Just my thoughts, thanks again for the review and video.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$125 for 32 minutes of grinding with a $4500 attachment is pretty good money.

I don't have a spade (tree spade or shovel?) and that would take more time/effort/money than reaching over and grinding the stumps. For me, this is attachment to do the outliers and convenient stumps. I have other machines to grind more accessible stumps, my next should be here in 2-3 weeks. They can grind a 24" oak stump in minutes. Still, what about the people with a mini and no grinder? This could be well suited for them, allowing them to add an additional service and utilization of their existing machine.

Put the 280 high flow on the 220! :lol: Wouldn't that be something, you'd certainly need a light touch!

This has me interested. At some point, possibly end of year/spring I will upgrade to another mini skid, either articulating or tracked. Keep Thomas too as he is soo handy and cute.

I'd thought Id get a 38 special, but if these actually work decent when you mount on the Boxer for a trial, I am thinking I could build a mount on the chipper to haul the grinder and grind those one or two stumps while I'm on the job. It wouldnt replace a big grinder, and I really don't want to get into that as I have a guy who does it soo cheap. But I see this taking the hassle out of arranging those 10"-20" typical stump jobs. If you can maybe show a range of stumps, maybe 12" vs 20-24" when you get the chance. What flow does your X put out, would it compare to that?

How do you reckon it would work with the ditch witch 750? Thats prob what I'm leaning towards.

Boxer will allegedly be coming out with a new mini in November.

I should have Boxers tomorrow, maybe I can whip together a video then.

The 750 should compare to the Boxer, perhaps even better. I want to get a flow meter so I can more closely compare machines and their real performance. We can't directly compare my excavator to the mini skids without that.

My 32 minute video shows grinding small stumps then a 24" oak stump with a bunch of roots.

Here's another video I made.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iuWoK9TnqU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Small stumps, not much count but hey, it's a start!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2KmBT6rYkTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The teeth are similar to the Sandvik style, should be quite durable.

12 teeth on the 220, they retail for $15.80 each. A nut and washer is $1.40 retail. Today I sent out 4 sets of teeth and one set of nuts and washers to the guy that bought my 220 with his Boxer.

I'm placing an order this week for them, I'm guessing Tuesday. For this order, I'm offering 5% off and FREE SHIPPING inside CONUS. That puts the 220 Low Flow Mini Skid Mount at $4270.25 delivered outside of Mississippi!

http://www.compactequipmentstore.com/products/stumper-industries-220 The discount code is Stumper. Complete the order, it will say there's no shipping to ____ (state). I'll take care of that on my end. Currently we can't stack coupons (one for 5% off and another for free shipping). I'll add teeth, washers, and nuts as products if you want to order spares.

So I ran across a 220 used with both a std skidsteer plate and a mini mounting plate. Price seems high at 4450, and a little of the front sheet metal is bent up.

What are the thoughts on these now after a few years out on the market?
Would you buy it again?
Problems to look out for?

Guess no Houser's but LJ have run these.

The teeth are similar to the Sandvik style, should be quite durable.

12 teeth on the 220, they retail for $15.80 each. A nut and washer is $1.40 retail. Today I sent out 4 sets of teeth and one set of nuts and washers to the guy that bought my 220 with his Boxer.

LJ, are you still stocking teeth for these?

Yessir, I still have teeth in stock.

Jon Perry (treesandsurf) has one. I'm trying to think of who else has one.

Thanks, LJ.

I have a busy week coming up, and to go look at it is a 8 hour round trip.
If it is still on CL after next week I may low ball the fellow and see what he will take.

Back