Aftermarket parts ?????

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
It has been awhile since I had a project saw on my bench but I found a couple of 66's /64's that I can rebuild . They are missing parts like the starter housings, chain brake handles and top handle. It has been awhile since I have cruised the saw salvage dealers for used parts. I have noticed that aftermarket parts from overseas seems to be the norm these days. Is this stuff any good to use?????? Stihl parts are getting pricey and hardly make rebuilding a used saw worth the time and effort . Anyone tried these aftermarket parts. ?????

I tried several different after market top handles on my 066 and they were junk, not rigid enough and bent then broke easily. Ended up going back to the Stihl original.

But Madsen sells a aftermarket handle manufactured in the U.S. PNW and you won't find a better handle.....but not cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, that pretty much answers my question. You get what you pay for and stay away from them and see if I can't find some good used Stihl parts. It is going to be tough. These part dealers are getting sneaky too. They put up a Stihl part number and just say it is a replacement part for whatever model saw.You have to careful if you want to get genuine used or NOS Stihl parts. Another thing I noticed is these aftermarket piston and cylinder kits to rebuild an engine are all over the place. I myself wouldn't use one but they sure can make engine rebuilding cheap. I can see why they are so attractive when you compare these parts to buying them through a Stihl dealer.

Conspiracy theory...Husky and Stihl pushed up the parts prices,try and rebuild and you are generally halfway or better to the shelves over where the gleamin new ones are lined up...

Larry, the Meteor piston and cylinder assemblies are very high quality after market parts. You won't go wrong with my them. You'll save some good coin too.
Check out Bailey's Woodsmen Supply

I have checked them out. If Bailey's are selling them them they must be pretty good, although I am still a little hesitant because I bought an aftermarket piston for an 024 and it was not a good experience , but that was a few years ago. I don't think I will need engine parts for my current 066 project because I have some good used engine parts that I am confident will work. I do have some 200's with stripped out threads in the cylinder for the muffler . I can't find any good used cylinders so these aftermarkets from Bailey's might solve the problem.

You might be able to run an M6 bolt through the muffler if the hole were drilled out .Retap the holes for M6 and use socket head cap screws .I doubt there's enough room for the wide torx head bolts in M6 .Use a belleville washer .

I'll give it a try AL, I have the stuff to do it . There isn't much room for a bigger screw in those cylinder holes so it might be a hit or miss type thing.

Don't forget to fix the problem/cause before adding new pistons or cylinder kit's.
Otherwise there is no kit good enough.

Ax-Man.
There are bolts for untapped holes in alu that most brands use. Sometimes these work. If not I put in Helicoils.

I had lots of different pistons here G.B, meteor, AIP, Golf, no namers.

As long as they are correct in shape and measurements and have good surface they all run if put in correct and issue causing trouble is corrected.

I have mounted hundreds of these kits and have not seen any clip worse than the other.
They are set differently and you need to know what you are doing, but other than that, no issues.

I see this often. The ones without ears are worst to figure out how to put in it seems, the ones with one ear mounted wrong I see too.
The ones with two ears I see mounted wrong to sometimes.

In some they put in wrong clip as they don't know how the clip that go in box should sit so they use old that they bent out of shape and try to correct. This is too wide or too thin for groove and a new kit is about to be ordered.

I replaced a piston on an 036 Stihl with a Caber .I could not get the danged circlips to seat so I installed the OEM clips .I noticed recently that Northwood now sells cir clips .That praticular instance was the only time I ever had any problems .Now I haven't done hundreds of them ,more closer to 30-40 I suppose .

Mostly the C clips seat easily. I put the ends in and push with pliers or screwdriver on the back of it.

I don't think I had many of them that had different shape and same diameter. If the size is different they seat wrong and pop out.
Sometimes the two or one eared ones is mounted wrong and pin take it out....

Back