Backup camera on chip truck. Anyone have one?

Brett47

TreeHouser
I was thinking about putting a backup camera on our chip truck. Do any of y'all have one? If so how do you like it? Does it help backing up to a trailer solo?

Thanks for your help

I haven't used one but the one guy I know who has one says it rocks.

The insurance people just passed a Bill making it a law that all auto manufacturers must include back up cams in every model sold in the US effective 2018.

That is awesome....... Totally going to look into this one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have one on my 450 and it stopped working and I don't miss it. When it was working I found it to be a pain always keeping the lens clean.

We recently had a rental Toyota that had it while the safety yellow Nissan was in the body shop. I can say it was wonderful. Even could see at night. I would highly recommend having one. Even night time was clear to see what was behind. Peace of mind friend

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that they could prevent a lot of accidents also. Especially with a large truck with a huge blind spot in the back.

Up until you get the camera, someone shared this trick. Park your rig with the trailer, use sticks behind you rear tires and on the very sides of the tire. If you pull out straight, and come in straight, this will get you close right away, or close enough to shove a lighter trailer a bit to the sides/ front and back.

...in my town tons of boat / snowmobile trailers hauled by drivers w /out the first clue on backing up, can tell by the way they park

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That looks pretty cool. I am wanting the camera more for safety than for trailer hookup. There is usually at least 2 of us when we are hooking up trailers. I would also imagine that if you had the camera adjusted to where you could see the ball on a regular backup camera you wouldn't be able to see much very far back.

We have had one on our chip truck for past two years. 7 inch screen. Nice. Only about 200.00. Tried the wireless but too much interference with the truck so large. Currently purchasing 3 more for our other trucks. Be sure to get the ones that are waterproof camera/cables and shock resistant.

We have had one on our chip truck for past two years. 7 inch screen. Nice. Only about 200.00. Tried the wireless but too much interference with the truck so large. Currently purchasing 3 more for our other trucks. Be sure to get the ones that are waterproof camera/cables and shock resistant.

Which model are you guys using?

Katy sucks as a spotter... There are times trying to hook up a trailer I wanna just get out of the truck and......... Frustrating crap. Camera would solve that little issue. And why can't the spotter realise they are not in my mirror any more?

I taught Karina how to spot. The ah-hah moment was when I told her I'm only going to do what you tell me to do and don't be afraid to stop me so you can check if everything is lined up proper.

Your wife can't realize she's not in the mirror because you keep moving and everything seems normal to her. As soon as you lose her, stop the truck. She'll figure it out.

Karina's good at it now. And I'd rather see her in the mirror than one of my ugly coworkers!

love
nick

FWIW.

Training a system is key. IMO. I use the concept of tell me which way you want the rear end of the whole rig to go, be that a truck or truck and trailer. There is only one "more driver's (side)" and only one "more passenger's". Stopping if they get out of sight, or not, gives them time to process the spatial relational brain work (men are supposed to be naturally stronger in this, IIRC, so give them time. Had a friend's girlfriend refuse to back a trailer calling it Guy SHIT!) and translate it into words. Giving rough estimates helps me a lot more than come on back, come on back STTOPPPP!. 20', 15', 10', 8', 6' (stop and assess how much fine correction side to side), 5', 4', 3', 2', 1', 6", 4", 2", Stop. We connect almost dead on each time standardized way and standardized commands.

People say things that aren't standardized in ambiguous ways like "that's good" instead of "stop".

For a stick shift, parking slightly uphill is nice, allowing gravity to roll you backward toward your hook-up.

I've also had to instruct people to use two feet while driving an automatic for control. The key to log riding on a mountain bike is to pedal and drag your rear brake. It give more control in some situations, and prevents sitback on some hills.

Back