Favorite Ddrt rope?

TreeHugger

TreeHouser
What is your favorite climb line for Ddrt? I like XTC, but haven't experimented with many other ropes. Does anyone use an 11mm rope on Ddrt? I just feel like it would be harder to grip. I keep a 30' piece of 11mm on my saddle as a second climb line/work positioning lanyard, but to be honest I rarely use it.

XTC when using a friction saver. I have a 100' piece of XTC Plus, a 120' XTC Eclipse, and a 150' XTC Fire. Having them in different flavors makes it easy to tell them apart

If using natural crotch....ArborPlex.

Samson Vortex is my fav by far...its 12.7mm, nice and fat, great for hands...i run 150ft for DRT

I have a 200ft and 300ft hank for SRT for the big trees here in nor cal as well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone tried the Yale Imori yet?

I'm interested in giving it shot....

In the description I read it says the Imori has textured strands that improve grip. This sounds great for gripping it with your hands, but my concern would be how will it slides through a friction hitch. The description also said that it runs great through hardware and since I am in the process of converting over to the Zigzag then the textured strands might be a non-issue for me. I too would like to hear some opinions on this rope from someone who has used it.

+1
I am looking to also play with the Vortex as well. Several I know have used it and like it.
Hard to go wrong with any variation of Sampson's Arbormaster ropes like blue streak etc....

I like the poison hyvee/ calamine option, good SRT/ DdRT.

RegC has used the imori a lot in the past. I'd seen it in a lot of videos. I would consider it for sure, especially if you don't wear gripper gloves. I don't climb DdRT when I can do it as easily or easier on SRT.

some of my coworkers bought imori. i was not impressed. it seemed very "mushy", like the the braid was very soft. it also got really fuzzy quickly after some use. i really like poison ivy and all its different color twins for srt and drt.

I use Samson arbormaster, find it runs through natural crotches nicely, I do use AllGear neolite to a lesser extent, it seems to have a lot more friction, even just running over a branch.... Now mind you those are the only two ropes I've used because of the availability in my area, and I am going to look at other ropes once those two retire.

+1
I am looking to also play with the Vortex as well. Several I know have used it and like it.
Hard to go wrong with any variation of Sampson's Arbormaster ropes like blue streak etc....
....yeah Blue Steak full half inch for double...sold mine as, well ...why use Double ...?....

I've used imori for at least a year and a half. Still my favorite rope for double duty (drt/srt).

The only negative is when there's a lot of rope in the system it can be bouncy. I only notice when I'm using my 200' hank with a base tie to another tree. West coast guys may notice that being an issue more.

Straight up old school DRT...has to be Blue Streak and it's brothers. I like the PI family exceeding well, myself; best SRT/DRT switcheroo rope there is, imho.

Correct me here, isn't bluemoon the blue-headed brother to the PI family.

I had a short piece that now hangs D's swing (about 40' TIP, she goes for rides!).

Yep Sean, PI is the name sherrill chose for BM. The luna at treestuff is also the same rope.

I had the imori for a couple years. Its pretty good but very stretchy. Dont think I'd buy another. Ive since been using Samson Vortex. Very low stretch so good for SRT too. It is very skinny mind, so you need either wet or gloved hands....or even very short fingers to grab it and pull your own weight around. On the upside its very lightweight, even when wet. You can carry it in a backpack up a tree if need be without too much effort.

Vortex is 12.7 mm and fairly heavy I would say. Velocity is 11 mm and feels very skinny and light in the hand.

It's tough to beat the Fly for me soft hand, the way it holds knots, how it runs through ascenders, the price, sure it has a little more "bounce" then others but if your through a couple of redirects who can tell the difference? Any of the bluemoon ropes would be a second choice.

Back