New Zigzag

Just a word of warning here guys. I wouldn't touch the death trap that is the Petzl zig zag
92f27d2fecfe2ec420a2072b7dd35375.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet they get Generation 3 right, or 4, or... In any case, it just life support, so no worries.

Mick, I bet it has to be a huge improvement over a Blake's. A VT with HitchClimber pulley is really good for DdRT, IMO. I'd still opt for a HitchHiker with a pulley, at this point.

Sean I heard rumor that the folks at Ropetek are working on a version 2 of the HH. Main change is that one out of 50 units will have a time bomb concealed in the spine to give that added thrill that others enjoy about using the ZZ8)

In the continuing effort of manufactures to keep making tech gear lighter and lighter their engineers keep shaving mass off the tool, but it comes to the point where a few grams saved in weight ends up with the strength of the tool being compromised.

The zig zag is a prime example of this statement.

I agree with Jer....first thing I said when ZZ came out is how WEAK it looked!...side plate links are to thin...just cheezy

Get the engineers to hang their lives on them for testing without a backup.

Engineers can do amazing things, then they can screw them up mighty well, too. The old Tacoma Narrows bridge/ Galloping Gertie was a proven design, I believe, but it didn't look as they wanted, and they changed the wind profile. Bad move. It worked out on the drawing board, but not in real life.

As far as normal use, torquing it crosswise on a branch is not supposed to happen. Cutting yourself with a chainsaw is not supposed to happen. Falling out of a tree is not supposed to happen. All can possibly F%$# you up if what isn't supposed to happen, happens. In reality, all will happen some. Design it for the What Ifs, not the From My Desk Chair You Should...

In the continuing effort of manufactures to keep making tech gear lighter and lighter their engineers keep shaving mass off the tool, but it comes to the point where a few grams saved in weight ends up with the strength of the tool being compromised.

The zig zag is a prime example of this statement.

Perfectly stated. And you could see the trend with Petzl with the new Pantin as well... Smaller lighter.....etc.

A ZigZag I would not.
Not with with a fox
not in a box
not on a train
not in the rain...

Anyway I've been using one for a week so I'll give you my thoughts.

I'm kind of nervous of it whilst descending, as a a prussik/blakes veteran of 20+years I found the ZZ very much off or on.

The knot is somehow more "organic" with better feel, and a fistful of blakes is nicer than feeling around for the piece of metal, I will persevere with the ZZ no doubt and I love the easy tending if that's the word. But it's not an unqualified success.

Hey Mick - you can eliminate that on - off business if you lightly squeeze your fingers around the ZZ body and chain links, and apply very light thumb pressure on top. Smooth as silk.

Just pretend it is a Blake's hitch and grip it the same way.
The ZZ chain won't pinch your fingers.
I find the ZZ runs smoother than a Blake's, esp. on wet or sticky (pine pitch) rope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just pretend it is a Blake's hitch and grip it the same way.
The ZZ chain won't pinch your fingers.
I find the ZZ runs smoother than a Blake's, esp. on wet or sticky (pine pitch) rope.

It's no secret that I am a big fan of the ZZ. However, on two different occasions it has pinched the crap out of my fingers. Both times it was my pinky and that was because I had the whole unit in my hand with my thumb on top and my pinky on bottom. As the rope came up it sucked some of the skin on my pinky in. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Lesson learned.

Do you wear gloves when climbing?
Even though I've got lots of fingers and toes, I'm averse to getting them mangled or lost.

Its sad that the company that came up with the GriGri, Rig and ID. Also comes up with dangerous duds like the Shunt, Stop, and ZZ

Having tested the HH and the GriGri thruroghly , I'll just stick with what I know.
I think the ZZ is a great idea but like GB says its too whimpy.

Back