New Zigzag

I just purchased it from treestuff. I am going to assume they must have the newest version??

... I would dread having to go back to the HH now that I have been on the ZZ...

I would just like to make a comment to keep this statement in perspective. The ZZ is a tool specifically designed for DdRT as was the Hitchclimber pulley. If that is what you are looking for these two tools excel at it. The HH on the other hand was purpose built as a multi sender, a tool that can do either DdRT or SRWP and excels at that. So picking the tool that is the best will be dependent on just how you plan on using it.

Just my opinion, but I think you are making a mistake returning it, Jim.
Especially considering the fact that literally thousands of the newer ones have been sold (asked a Petzl rep at Expo), and ZERO reports of any failures resulting in injury/death.
I love climbing on my ZZ. Own two of them (different length ropes).
I've been badly hurt in several falls over the years, and if I didn't feel safe climbing on a ZZ, believe me, there isn't a chance in hell that I would climb on that thing.

You could wait until someone is injured or dead. Just my .02.

If you go with the hitchhiker, the right pulley below makes it tend better, per David (DMc, if think is the screen name). It doesn't tend as well as a ZZ, I'm sure. Petzl doesn't endorse SRT, so any employee getting hurt using it SRT opens up a can of worms.

IF two generations didn't crack, and I was stuck on DdRT only, I'd be all over that.

I'm curious why petzl won't endorse SRT. Any ideas, folks?

One part of the equation-- Will it fail??, another part of the equation-- Do I wonder (distraction) if it might fail while I'm suspended from it 80' above a driveway?.

Now are the failures on the 2013 AND the 2014 models???? Pretty pathetic if the 2014 improved version is failing also!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I converted from the hitch hiker set up to the zigzag and as far as performance, the zigzag is superior by far. I would dread having to go back to the HH now that I have been on the ZZ."

I need to make a correction to this quote. I DID NOT covert from the hitch hiker. I converted from a hitch climber setup. I have never used the hitch hiker so I can't compare the two. My apologies for the slip up. I would also like to ad as I said in the earlier review that the ZZ is for Ddrt only. I'm not comparing it to any SRT friction device.

You could wait until someone is injured or dead. Just my .02.
IF two generations didn't crack, and I was stuck on DdRT only, I'd be all over that.

Curious if you own or have actually tried the product?
I am all over it. Climbed for years on a Blakes hitch, then went to a HH, which I liked a lot.
But I can't get the HH to tend as well as a ZZ, and setting the friction hitch to both tend well, and grip well can be a delicate affair. Had a couple experiences which suprised me how NOT well it gripped {{{surprise!}}} even though I had test loaded the thing with my weight prior to climbing on it. Not knocking the HH whatsoever, but I just find the ZZ superior for the climbing I'm doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Correction, the 2nd gens are failing. Lots of them have problems with cracked links.

a very slight few have had a hairline crack in one spot on the link, but none of them have failed. Even with the crack they perform just as they should, however like with any life support gear a crack equals not using it.

Correction, the 2nd gens are failing. Lots of them have problems with cracked links.

If your truck gets a spot of rust on it, do you say the vehicle failed?
How 'bout when your Carharts get a hole in them?
I think Petzl's warranty period for the product is outstanding.

"What is failure? definition and meaning - BusinessDictionary.com
www.businessdictionary.com/definition/failure.html
Definition of failure: Event in which any part of an equipment or machine does not perform according to its operational specifications."

The link ain't s'posed to break. That's a given. Nevertheless, as the cracked link neither impedes the function or performance of the product, nor reduces the breaking strength (as tested by the manufacturer), I don't think the 2nd gens are "failing".

No I don't have one. Conceptually, great. Cracks in metal. No bueno. I would like to see one levered over sideways, as could happen dynamically in a fall at the wrong place. Enough danger and reason for concern in our work without using things that are repeatedly doing things they shouldn't. I'm sure petzl didn't design those cracks.

Yes, I'm biased against a device that the manufacturer only endorsed for Ddrt.

Yes, also biased against cracking life support gear, even when the manufacturer says the unexpected cracks are okay.

Easier to be bulletproof in your 20s, Adrian. No offense. Just how it is. I was bullet proof a lot, even recently. I'm not special. I'm just as likely to be killed or injured as the next guy, statistically.

You've heard about product recall... More expensive to recall versus more expensive to keep in the field. How many cracks in a piece of life support is a good, confidence-inspiring number? For me, zero.

I have come to the decision I am shipping it back tomorrow. I just purchased a Hitch Hiker and will work with that for time being.

If your truck gets a spot of rust on it, do you say the vehicle failed?
How 'bout when your Carharts get a hole in them?

I don't know about you, but I normally don't use my work pants to tie off of when climbing.
I use a harness for that, and if ANYTHING isn't in top shape on that, I toss it out and buy another one.
I'll second stephen on this.
Not with a ten foot pole.

There are enough other options if one is into DRT, no need to go for one that keeps cracking.

Zero accidents. Zero failures. It's safe.

It's patently unsafe!!!
Everybody here knows somebody's cousin's friend that had close call with one of these link cracking deathtraps..
Weird that TreeStuff and WesSpur continue to sell 'em. WesSpur's booth at Expo was all about the ZZ.

I was surprised at Toyota's monetary slap down for not recalling and repairing 'sudden acceleration' issue. Went into the multiple billions ($3.7?) In the US alone. And on top of that there is a court room line of further individual complaintents waiting to sue them.

Well, I just bought one, not really worried about this crack thing.
Took it for a rec climb today, will take some getting used to but yeah, I like it.
I've never used anything but a blakes/prussik for the 20 years I've been climbing, so it'll be interesting.......

Back