New Zigzag

TreeHugger

TreeHouser
Anyone on here used the Zigzag since the recall? I purchased one a few weeks ago and have been experimenting with it slow and low right now. I normally climb Ddrt on a VT friction hitch. The ZZ is definitely smoother but it is also more sensitive than the VT. I'm not happy that I can't attach it to my spliced eye line without feeding the entire line through it. I have a couple of different length climb lines that I like to swap between depending on the job. Anyway, just wanted to see if there were any other opinions on here.

I'm looking to get one soon. I'm wondering how it will do with 250 total pounds of weight. And as you said, not being able to place mid line is a bugger— but even a bigger loss would be that third hole the hitch climber provides.

Does it heat up on quick descents?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First name is Kyle. Haven't had any long descents on it yet. I'll try to leave more comments after further use.

I have not tried the ZZ but I think a unicender is a bit better tool, personally.

I have a second gen, it's absolutely delicious drt. I've done a little srt with a wrench over it and they play well together. Nice tool.

Szajer, I'm a winter fatty right now, probably just under 230 with gear. It plays the same with me as it does with my 40lb nephew.

Does it self feed with some rope weight below?

How bulky is the ZZ and RW together? Seems like the tether would need to be a bit longer, no?

With my imori the zz doesn't self tend at height, but with something like velocity or tachyon it might. The effort required to pull slack through is really minimal.

Size-wise the zz is a lot smaller in the hand than it looks like in pictures. With a wrench and tether it's about the same in height as a hitch/wrench combo. I'll try to snap some pics soon to compare the two side by side.

I am not really liking Petzl's direction with some of their gear. I am gonna let the other guys test version 2 :/:
HH is awesome. Might wanna try that one that Jamie is using.

Hitch hiker with a second biner on the bridge ring (thanks, Fi). I will try a revolver when I think of it. That biner doubles to clip the down strand back to you in order to clear the cutting path of the down strand.

Anyone on here used the Zigzag since the recall? I purchased one a few weeks ago and have been experimenting with it slow and low right now. I normally climb Ddrt on a VT friction hitch. The ZZ is definitely smoother but it is also more sensitive than the VT. I'm not happy that I can't attach it to my spliced eye line without feeding the entire line through it. I have a couple of different length climb lines that I like to swap between depending on the job. Anyway, just wanted to see if there were any other opinions on here.

Tried mine for first time today..set it up with an o-rig system so i could use it to ascend then switch it to work mode...this is a nice feature of the orig set up. learned it on the climbing arborist.com website. as to the zig zag i have to say i really like it...really smooth and easy to control descent..slack tending is dreamy on this thing. my only gripe is its not mid line attachable so you have to work with that..other than that it beats the hell out of any eye to eye configuration i have ever used. we will see how it holds up to abuse though.

I got the new ZZ. Love it. Works great with Blue Moon line. Gotta be careful what knots you use on the working end though. I usually use an anchor hitch for termination, but it likes to grab the links on the hitch and drop ya a foot or two. Enough for a brief moment of pants crapping terror. I went to a double bow line with it.

I'd stay far away from the zig zag, no bueno in my book. Petzl still has a lot of bugs to work out with it, the problem being they won't own up to these problems and admit they screwed up on their end and fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back