New Zigzag

6 people? I wish people would post reports on the forums for us non-fb people too. I have a gen2 but it doesn't get much use. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Have those 6 people contacted petzl?

All 6 have contacted Petzl and they are looking into it. Does seem to be a problem for some and seems to be on the brink of another re call. Right one I believe you can take it back, used or not and get your money back.
Doesn't inspire confidence does it:thumbdown:
J8)

All 6 have contacted Petzl and they are looking into it. Does seem to be a problem for some and seems to be on the brink of another re call. Right one I believe you can take it back, used or not and get your money back.
Doesn't inspire confidence does it:thumbdown:
J8)

NOTE- sorry misread some info, can't get a refund yet, have to wait for a recall I guess.

Yep, all 6 have contacted Petzl, their looking into it but like I said, the letter Petzl put out sounds like they're blaiming the end user for the cracks and that the zig zag is still safe to use with a cracked link but you should return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great idea, Petzl just needs to man up and say the problem is on their end and it needs further R&D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at them, and my reason for not parting my money was no replaceable parts. Anything that wears then the whole unit has to be replaced. I also thought it was too close to a hitch climber setup to be spending that amount of dish on. But my main reason was because I already had a spiderjack and there was no way a zz could beat it.
A SJ takes longer to get to grips with but when mastered will keep you smiling all day long, the zz doesn't look anywhere near as fun. Just felt that Petzl were 4 years too late to the mechanical party. ART and rock exotica and co seem to almost have rapped up and bet they love watching Petzl stumbling right now.
I also felt that with Petzl being so big and "leading the way" I thought there product would allow users to switch between ddrt and srt effortlessly like the HH. No big company has that in there inventory and I thought Petzl would be the first.
J8)

I use the second gen zz and I love it. I suspect the issues are from Letting the ropes twist then putting load on it. There were a couple times I could see it starting to twist and side load.

Sounds great at 100'. I bet it works well, when it works safely.

Of course you will hear me say SRT here, like a car over a horse. Always ride horse, and you never know what you're missing. Sometimes, I'd take a horse ride over a car, but not to make money.

If I were a hardcore DdRT, I'd be looking at a SJ, for sure!

I like srt for getting in the tree, and DRT for working in it. Not much different than tending to a Blake's hitch, you have to constantly check to make sure it's dressed and set properly. The zz, just make sure it's not twisted. I have no fear of the zz letting go. They only start to twist when you start getting crazy with maneuvering and reaching way out and not paying attention to the ropes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've now had a couple of months on the zz and so far I love it. The draw back is that you can't take it off midline. That is the one thing that they need to change. Other than that it's awesome. I can't compare it to other mechanical friction devises because I haven't used any others. There may be some out there that are even better. But compared to using a setup with friction cord/knots. The zz is far superior.

Loving the ZZ. No issues with nerves.
Gotta somewhat discount reviews by folks that haven't actually tried the product, or watched the movie, or read the book, or driven the vehicle.

Maybe so, but pictures of cracked gear that serves as life support, does not really instil high levels of confidence.
In my head, and beat me for being wrong, I see every link as a side load issue in an aluminium frame. :dontknow:
A SS one like what Jamie is flying seems a better idea.

Just purchased one, should have searched for reviews here first! Now I'm nerves.

There have been 5 or 6 issues with cracking out of potentially thousands (which could easily be due to abuse or misuse). Any gear can fail for any reason. That's what frequent and through inspections are for. Don't side load it and keep it clean. I consider it safer than the Blake's Hitch I use, which can easily be tied wrong or not dressed and set properly. The ZZ only works one way. It's a great tool that should be plenty safe to use.

My only tip would be to not use an anchor hitch on the working end of the rope. It tends to catch the links and take you for a short but pants crapping terror ride. Use a knot with a loop like a double bow line to get it away from the links.

Back