Husky 540 cutting and climbing

I prefer to turn my saw off if I'm re-positioning much at all. I'm not fond of a running saw hanging. The warm-up nonsense is bs to me. Big difference from how I'm used to running with a 200.

Mine was running well after the dealer upgraded the computer firmware but the last week it's gotten cold. Once it's warm it's ok but once it's cooled a little it's back to being a pig to restart

I find if it's sat for over 5 minutes I choke it and she starts first pull. You just need to be quick on the choke release and she stays running. Easy pezy

So how is everybody's 540 so far? My 200 is giving me fits probably crank seals. Thinking about trading it for 540.

Do you have an early edition 201? They all suck hugely. I have 3 newer 201s with lots of hours on them, they rock same or better as a 200.

Reg your current 201, buy a 201 and a 540, get back to us in 6 months.

Its hard to make money without good tools.

have quit pulling my ported 540 out of the box as when it gets hot I cannt start it. Back to my old 200.....

Ported? Do you mean cylinder port modifications or just a muffler mod? Also how much modifications does your 200 have?
If your 540 had cylinder mods that may explain your problems. Even the best saw builders can make a slip of the grinding tool and produce a saw with less power then it had out of the factory.
My experience has shown that just a muffler mod on my 200's and 338XPT gave me all the performance with reliability that I needed.
From good reliable sources I heard the T 540XP really comes on strong just with a simple muffler mod with exhaust outlet enlargement.

If you muffler mod this saw, is it necessary to adjust the carb or does the auto tune handle that?

I'd be interested to know........except mine's at the shop getting the kill switch fixed and 'appraised' for consignment or trade in. Dropped it off this afternoon.

From over the years that I have mentored and taught chainsaw courses I quickly came to realize the biggest whiners who complained about the reliability of a certain chainsaw. ....couldn't properly maintain the saw themselves. Not even being able to properly adjust the carb which was way beyond their skills. ......and I'm not even getting into chain maintenance yet HAHAHAHA......

Like how the old saying goes....".imagine his potential if the average tree climber put as much effort into maintaining his saws as his does his climbing gear."

Well I've been being kind. My 540 has sucked big time in comparison to even my early 201t, which is a dog. I've got a couple 46's pushing 20 years old that have never been to the shop, seemed to have maintained and adjusted them just fine myself. The 540 even when it was 'working' imo doesn't have what it takes. You can maintain yours all you like. My 540 'expirement' is over, it won't be coming back from the shop.

Well I've been being kind. My 540 has sucked big time in comparison to even my early 201t, which is a dog. I've got a couple 46's pushing 20 years old that have never been to the shop, seemed to have maintained and adjusted them just fine myself. The 540 even when it was 'working' imo doesn't have what it takes. You can maintain yours all you like. My 540 'expirement' is over, it won't be coming back from the shop.
Justin, let me take that 540 off your hands seeing "it's not coming back from the shop". Did you whine enough that your dealer gave your money back :lol:

Seriously I'll give you fair coin for what it's worth to you..................give me a price snd post some pics of it please.

You must have missed my last posting about taking it in. They're assessing it for trade-in or consignment. I'll let you know what numbers they tell me and it's yours if you want it.

I guess I took exception to your inference that the saw wasn't maintained or 'adjusted' properly. I'd be lucky if I've squeezed twenty tanks through that thing and all the 'adjusting' was done by a 20+ year tech, who you'd be hard pressed to say doesn't know his stuff forwards and backwards if you met him.

Seriously I'll sell it to you for what the shop will give me plus shipping. No problemo.

It appears your 20 year tech can't get the handle on your AutoTune warranty issues. That saw should have sent right back to Husqvarna Canada.
Your 540 is impossible to fix according to you and you seem happy to slam any crediability of the saw whenever you get the chance and revert back to the old glorious Stihl 200

We all forget very quickly all the years those Stihl MS200s had those faulty carb issues and the grief so many owners had.

Back