Stihl 201 upgrade kit

Al. There appears to be two different upgrade kits available #1145 007 1800 #1145 007 1802.
Both kits have the same module, flywheel and Zama carbs. Only difference is the 1802 kit has a carb with no limiter on the low speed screw.

They probably re keyed the flywheels to advance the ignition. As long as their a strato design EPA should have no concerns. Take the simplified MS461 for example.

IMO it's time people started saying "right, some early 201s are rubbish, (I have one btw) stihl are producing an upgrade, let's get it and get on with it"
They made a mistake and are providing a solution. They're not going to come round your house and beg forgiveness.
Big corporations can make mistakes just as we can break a shed roof or worse.
Time to stop playing the victims and get on with it.

Man: well said. I almost got on here and started crying myself (again) because now my carburetor has gone and taken a dump AGAIN. But, after reading your advice, I'm just gonna (I know Squish, I can't stand my saw dealer either) go in, and get the kit.

BTW: I almost smashed a house today. Long story....

I remember all the erractic lean running conditions most of my MS200's gave me going all the way back to year 2001.
But my Stihl dealer and area rep always followed through for me with a new carb on warranty.

We do tend to easily forget all the grief those earlier 200's gave us.:/:

Mine never gave any grief till they had a whole lot of wear. On/off switch used to go, too.

You don't need it, yours is in the raped ape category is it not?
You never know, maybe they'll start to hand it out for free.

You don't need it, yours is in the raped ape category is it not?
You never know, maybe they'll start to hand it out for free.

No. They should not hand out parts. They sold it, they fix it!

Usually a model upgrade go out first and those turning in saws for service.
Dealers are to contact/call in all saws needing update and dealer do it free of charge (warranty).

I prefer huskys and really want the 540 to be good but I would have to say the 201 is far more reliable. The husky 540 is good but the auto tune has a way to go. I can understand a climber only want 201 at the moment. They are simple and work

I have not had a single problem with any of my NE 338's or 2139T's....Dead on reliable, and, with a ported muffler, they beat the Stihl climb saws, have more torque and are lighter.

Anyone who thinks they're having 540 Autotune issues should call Bob of Ashokan Turf and Timber. He knows the saws well, and is very helpful.

IMO it's time people started saying "right, some early 201s are rubbish, (I have one btw) stihl are producing an upgrade, let's get it and get on with it"
They made a mistake and are providing a solution. They're not going to come round your house and beg forgiveness.
Big corporations can make mistakes just as we can break a shed roof or worse.
Time to stop playing the victims and get on with it.

I would gladly do this. But even showing my dealer the pics in this thread and providing the part number. I can't even buy the kit! That's what pisses me off. Hell I've gotten on with it. I'm not even running it. I run 200s. I can't even give Stihl more money for this kit to fix their mistake because they or their dealers or Stihl Canada or whatever are to damn slow or dis organized.

Many think it is OK to buy a product, fix it so you can use it and then say it is OK?

You should get what you pay for regardless of price.

To accept anything less is not right.

On the 200's I've seen several carbs .Fact Tom has a fixed main jet but that's on an 020T .Although they bad mouth those carbs that rascal runs pretty darned good .

The carb I got from Eddie is the latest accellerator pump model .That souped 200T has never ran so good .

I still contend it wasn't the bad carbs that killed so many 200's .I think it was more bad seals caused by sloppy bearings .

Does anybody know if the 201 still uses those damned roller bearing mains ?

Like I said Squish, I ordered the kit a week ago. It came in and I opened the box and all that was in there for $119 was the magneto/moduale! I said what the hell is this? The saw shop is back to the drawing board. The dealers don't even know what is going on with this situation.

Like I said Squish, I ordered the kit a week ago. It came in and I opened the box and all that was in there for $119 was the magneto/moduale! I said what the hell is this? The saw shop is back to the drawing board. The dealers don't even know what is going on with this situation.

Stihl needs to get their poop in a group.

I have to admit I was quite surprised that the whole upgrade kit as sold in Australia is only $50. Usually everything over here is like three times the price. I don't think you could get a carby on its own for $50! I was quoted $55 for a 200t sprocket last year!
There is a massive trade show on in Tasmania next week - AgFest, all the dealers will be there, I might inquire about the upgrade kit and see what they have to say, just out of curiosity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This morning my mate with the upgrade kit cut through a black iron bark fast enough to give my 346xp a run for its money. He was using semi chisel and it didn't bog down at all

Still no availability on this kit through my dealer in BC Canada.

Stihl? Listen up, fix your damn mistake or atleast make it available to me to pay to fix it for you!

Stihl needs to Recall all first gen 201's with out the up-grade kit

They should make it that you drop yours off at a dealer and they install up-grade....should be free but you know how that goes...

Back