Stihl 201 upgrade kit

Al. This fresh air engine type as we see today is nothing new forced up by EPA or others, I read patents from early 20's that has same principles and it did not work then, I doubt they can change physic's no either.

It is about combustion. A more complete leave less crap for muffler to handle. There is no way to get a engine like these environmentally correct. It goes against its principles.

"Engine with few moving parts and low weight with high power out put"! It was not meant to be fuel efficient or environmentally correct.

Move out of this either by adding parts or weight, better emissions, less fuel, higher output you tip over the principle.

Electronically controlled carb is a step in right direction. Fuel injected in cylinder is next positive they are trying.
Fourstrokes seem not the way to go even though it has been a fun run.
Wankels same thing.
Diesel could work, but is expensive.

Not much small engines left to try...

My understanding of carbs is that they don't deliver a linear fuel/air mixture throughout the throttle position therefor a different carb may have a different fuel/air delivery curve.

What is it you mean with linear?
There are two inlets, one with fuel air, one with air.
Replace the carb in the intake that it sits you get same problem.

I think where in the problem lies regarding the EPA and chainsaws is the fact that for all intents a saw has two throttle positions .Basically it's either at idle or running full bore wide open .

With a modern automobile for an example with electronic fuel injection and variable valve timing conditions can be changed with respect to the power needs of the engine .With a two cycle saw engine it's just not that easy .

This is not saying it's not possible more so it's impractical .Probabley of all sources of gasoline engines a chainsaw is the least most used .Weedwacker ,blower etc. lumped in the same group .

As far as I'm concerned the EPA and other are chasing ghosts,tilting at windmills and generally are pissing the wind with all their concerns over little engines .

Not really .I work in an auto engine plant .The engines today as oppossed to say 25-30 years ago are light years more advanced . Of course the average shade tree mechanic can't work on them .Then again you don't have to .

Who knows perhaps these modern saws might the same given enough time .People like me will never know because by the time I get them they will be old .

I think where in the problem lies regarding the EPA and chainsaws is the fact that for all intents a saw has two throttle positions .Basically it's either at idle or running full bore wide open .
I you mean this with no mid range power band, it is not EPA thing.

As far as I'm concerned the EPA and other are chasing ghosts,tilting at windmills and generally are pissing the wind with all their concerns over little engines .
This is true. Especially as it doesn't apply all products and not those most sold.
It is not a technical thing, more marketing and populist thing.
A brand can not sell conventional engine at the dealer, but can at wallmart? Consumer grade products is 85% of sales...

But does anyone have anymore info in the possible availability of this kit outside of Australia?

I agree with Magnus not only on chainsaw but just about every level of tools ,lawnmowers etc .

Take Black and Decker for example .At one time they were the top of the line company in electrical power tools .Truth being they made more money in the lower end of the scale rather than professional quality power tools .That pretty much directed them which market to seek .

I'd again say that companies like Stihl and Husqvarna realize more revenue in consumer goods than for pro quality stuff .Husky of course is more diversified .Hell's fire they've been around since the middle ages .I don't know which one is older ,Husqvarna or Krupp .

I agree with Magnus not only on chainsaw but just about every level of tools ,lawnmowers etc .

Take Black and Decker for example .At one time they were the top of the line company in electrical power tools .Truth being they made more money in the lower end of the scale rather than professional quality power tools .That pretty much directed them which market to seek .

I'd again say that companies like Stihl and Husqvarna realize more revenue in consumer goods than for pro quality stuff .Husky of course is more diversified .Hell's fire they've been around since the middle ages .I don't know which one is older ,Husqvarna or Krupp .
Husqvarna as it is today is from 1978, not that old.
Cunsumer grade stuff pay's the bills. Pro grade is for marketing more than profit. Without pro market they are done as brand. Partner, McCulloch, Homelite are a couple examples of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just saw this on stalkbook.
e4udeqeb.jpg

It very well could be an atonement because of the complaints from people .

Just like Microsoft is making an upgrade on Windows 8 because people dislike it .I've had a brand new Dell sitting here nearly a year because of the forked up Win 8 on my wifes machine .As soon as the patch comes out I'll change it out simple as that .Maybe with this Stihl fix people will be more receptive to the 201 .

Stihl 201 Enhancement Pack. Guess thats one way to admit you built it wrong.

s201tpack.jpg

It very well could be an atonement because of the complaints from people .

Just like Microsoft is making an upgrade on Windows 8 because people dislike it .I've had a brand new Dell sitting here nearly a year because of the forked up Win 8 on my wifes machine .As soon as the patch comes out I'll change it out simple as that .Maybe with this Stihl fix people will be more receptive to the 201 .

Exactly.

my company here in germany has both a new one and two old ones ....... the difference is huge , throttle response is much nicer.
i put it next to my 200 and it was almost as good .

Stihl 201 Enhancement Pack. Guess thats one way to admit you built it wrong.

That is probabley as close as that company or any company for that matter admitting they screwed up .If the 50 dollar deal holds out in North America that is far cheaper than the individual parts would sell for .I wouldn't doubt however if even at 50 bucks there isn't a tad bit of profit in it .At least enough the dealer gets a little piece of the pie .

Interesting to note the little blurb saying any 201T shipped after Feb 2014 was fitted with this up grade at the factory .

Kevin: Thanks a TON for that last marketing image. Man, I'm still rollin' over: "Our best-selling arbo-saw, just got even BETTER!" WOW!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Well I bought a 201t a couple years ago and I figure that I may as well make the best of it. I called the local farm and ranch store yesterday where I bought it. They aren't even a chainsaw shop, just sell a few saws. Gave them the part # for the upgrade kit. It will be here in two days for $119. That isn't much more than sending the saw out and getting all the back yard modifications, with shipping etc.
Pat

Here's a thought. With all the negative reviews of the 201, don't buy them. That tells Stihl they did a good job when you keep handing them money for junk. Just because it says Stihl doesn't mean you are getting a good product. Chainsaw brand loyalty runs so high, it seems guys will use a poor performing stihl as opposed to a good running Husqvarna. I don't follow that logic. A good tool is a good tool.

I buy saws based on the model, provided I get good dealer support. I don't give a shit if it says Playskool on the side. If that model is a knockout reliable performer, I want one in the saw cabinet.

That may be good advice. Like I said I have owned the saw for two years I believe. I wouldn't feel right about trying to sell it to someone. I own 5 Stihls and about 6 Husky's and they all run comparatively great, except for the 201. We will see after I install the kit that was sold to me at dealer cost. Stihl should be installing them free of charge though. They are the responsible party.

Back