Stihl 201 upgrade kit

I thought most here thought it was a great saw? Here all seem to be waiting for something that really works, regardless of brand.
It might get better, time will tell...
This is a fix to try rescue sales.

I think cause of problem is in Engine design.

Interesting, as an owner of a good one and a bad one I knew that something was intrinsically different, despite stihls dealers assertion there wasn't.
What stihl have done is clever, no recalls no admissions just a very cheap upgrade kit that will set it right.
They've seen and heard the complaints (you can be sure they have people keeping an eye on forums)
And have tried to sort it.

It is sales that is important. They don't care about anything if product sells.
When sales drop/stop eyes and ears open..
Universal as it is same with most brands.

Releasing saws to be tested on market saves a year or two on development and lets you get sales faster, but sure is a pain in the butt for those buying.

I was told that the 201 now being produced have the new kit in them, just got to be careful you don't get old stock

I got the kit in and had a bit of a play with the tuning.

The improvement is definitely noticeable. The low down response is very snappy. At wot it feels better in the cut. It doesn't seem to want to big down like it used to.

I've only done half a tank at the moment but happy. Being a stock saw it feels like it would now give my stock 540 a run for its money.

If you buy at a dealer they usually get ordered to upgrade before sales if it is a significant upgrade. If you buy on Internet is is same risks as usual and up to you to make sure you get the right stuff.

ok, went to a dealer for a little chat.

i did not have my serial number memorized so they couldn't tell me if these parts are already on my saw.

they quoted me $250 for what they said was listed as the "repair kit"

the only concrete change they mentioned was that the new flywheel will increase rpms from 11000 to 13000

i'm off to pick up some wages then on to my preferred saw shop to have a wee chat.

i'll be back with more info later.

I just called my local dealer, who quoted $120.00, but said the part is not currently available at Stihl NW in SW Wa.

You can't even buy the carb for 50 bucks .Now I can't help but wonder with obviously an advance keyed into the flywheel if the magnets align with a non rev limited coil.

If they are going to sell this kit in Australia I'd bet they soon will in North America .

Another thing dawned on me .I wonder if say the 201 Butch got came equipted with this stuff already as oppossed to the one Tom has taking up space in his garage banished to the shelf he refuses to run .

ok, the maestro at my favorite saw shop (it's watertown ace hardware in case you're in the area) isn't around today.

what i wanted to ask him is when the saw was produced and if the components are already installed in it.

my 201t is still pretty new and, given it's fuel economy and the fact that i use company saws the majority of the time, hasn't had 30 tanks of fuel run threw it..

still it seems like the 1st saw shop could get the parts without trouble.
for $250....

what's the consensus on a 2000 rpm increase?

the 1st tech said the kit would increase throttle response.

now i'm no expert, but that sounds like a nice thing no?

but $250 is almost half the price of the freaking saw...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ive done 2x tanks through my saw now and am happy with the improvements. I ran it next to a mates 6 month old 201 which has the carbie drilled out and the timing advanced and i would say that my 201 felt stronger than the modded 201

Im not sure how accurate this is but i was told the new 201s which have the new kit in it will have a sticker at the front of the saw beside the spikes. ( i cant remember if mine ever had one)

Now I can't help but wonder with obviously an advance keyed into the flywheel if the magnets align with a non rev limited coil.

There is retardation in all coils today and a curve to follow. Changing flywheel and coil together is often needed to get the increase in timing curve if that is wanted. Non limited coil is of no advantage unless it hits limiter under load witch is unlikly.
To get timing curves to work properly there has to be a end on the curve in acceleration. A fixed point were it lets go to not ignite too soon.

I think that it is fair to say that a 2000 rpm increase takes a saw into a different realm, as long as there is no loss of torque.

The 201 will be coming out eventually with the M Tronic technology like Husqvarnas Auto Tune.
Then we'll see another breed of saw again. Might even get a new model #.

It would not hold 16 thou in the wood .My modified 200T free revs at 15.6 but it certainly can't hold it under load .I don't tune with a tach but I need a good tach just for things like measuring speed in the cut which is where it counts .RPM's in the air is just noise .

This kit is following similar lines what a Stihl tech told me. If you take a 200 carb along with a 200 complete ignition system and install it onto a 201 it would be a good saw like a 200. I have no clue if it work but it might be worth a try if you have a dog 201 with some spare 200 parts.

This kit is following similar lines what a Stihl tech told me. If you take a 200 carb along with a 200 complete ignition system and install it onto a 201 it would be a good saw like a 200. I have no clue if it work but it might be worth a try if you have a dog 201 with some spare 200 parts.

200 and 201 has different engines. 201 has fresh air engine just as 540 and others.
Newer ignitions and auto tune systems perform well..
If they just was in a good engine it...

I can't for the life of me figure out how a different carb would help the thing out unless it blasted a lot more fuel .

If it did that though how could it pass EPS regulations which brought about the engine design in the first place ? All in all it still goes back to one basic fact,it takes fuel to make power .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My understanding of carbs is that they don't deliver a linear fuel/air mixture throughout the throttle position therefor a different carb may have a different fuel/air delivery curve.

Back