High Vis Clothing

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I'm thinking we are going to switch to high vis clothes. We spend a TON of time working next to some of the busiest streets in the city, and on very narrow roads in the Hollywood hills and all that.

Any of you guys use a brand that is good? Should I go cotton or poly? My plan is to get maybe 3-5 shirts per guy. I'm not sure how much this'll all cost. But I see there are a MILLION companies that sell high vis stuff. Just looking for recommendations...

We will get our logo on it, too.

love
nick

Do you have Snickers workware over there Nick? Hi Viz is completely mandatory over here now. Snickers stuff is not the cheapest but its high quality, and a lot of it is hi tech fabrics

:thumbup: Good move IME Nick!

I've only used Arborwear for clothing so can't give you a bunch of choices.

I've stuck to cotton as I absolutely can't stand wearing a shirt that feels like plastic as the couple of "high tech" ones I've tried have. But there may be better materials out there now :dontknow:

I would think that wearing hi-vis was a given in the land of lawsuits.
Anytime we work on a trafficked road here, we have to wear it.
Ed is right, Snickers is good quality.

A 50/50 blend will not snag/pill as bad as the 100% poly fabrics.

May pay to check with a uniform supply/rental locally and see what you can buy from them.

We have to wear it now on ANY work site STig, not just roads. Even in the woods you have to wear a vest as minimum. I believe the Canadian Forestry Service is the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This may be the land of lawsuits, but this is also 'merica and can't nobody tell me what to do, so we have some flexibility in clothing choices.

love
nick

Biggest issue is hi viz gets filthy. Tough to keep a clean pro image if your shirts are dirty, even when they're clean.
Fwiw I prefer hi viz, poly or poly blend, but I just don't expect it to last very long, so don't spend too much.

The color green is the most easily perceived color in terms of physics and eyeballs. Probably part of the reason police lights are blue these days (yellow, green, blue in order of light spectrum) and firetrucks are often yellow-green.

A vibrant blue or green might be a good color.

blue. green is too camouflaging with the climber looking down through the canopy. Different colors in different conditions are safest, or contrasting for all. Sometimes I wear yellow short sleeve over orange long sleeve or yellow and blue, not really by design, too much. just as it happens.

I'd check with what your local trash collector is wearing. Doesn't get much dirtier and physically demanding than that. And who else spends more time with the dangers of traffic? These guys and those doing county surveying.

I currently have hi_v green. 100% poly. I think Corner Stone is the name brand. I like those the best out of all the brands that we've tried. They seem to cleanup nice. Don't plan on more than a year. I would get everyone at least 5 if you plan on wearing them daily.

Another advantage of Hi_v is that your coworkers can see you better as well.

P. S. Gildan Hi_v was the worst company that we used. Normally I love Gildan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Instead of dealing with all those shirts...

simg_61.jpg

Easily washed! And, even better!

In forestry boundary ribbon tape in fluorescent orange is the most distinct proven color in the forest.

Speaking of police vehicle lights nothing is more eye catching then their alternate strobe flashing blue/red lights.

Good idea, MB. I think there are ones now that are solar recharging. You could stick one on and hope it didn't get busted.

Back