Which new mid-sized saw?

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I'm in the market for new saws this season.

I'm accustomed to Sthl models, and don't speak husky numbers well.

I like my MS 361 in the tree, and for lighter cutting on the ground and could use something similar, or a big more powerful.

I have a 460 and 660 now. I was thinking of a 461, but seems like people really like some of the Huskys.

Madsen's is a dealer for both, so no issue there. They have someone (out of house) who will 'powertune' new saws. Don't know the details. My guess is that if Madsen's will send people his way, he's likely at least decent at it, considering their customer base of pro users. I'm acquainted with the folks there at Madsen's from SP days, so feel like I can trust them.

The Husky 562XP is what you need to fill that gap in the stable that you have. In the tree you may want to try the 550XP and on the Stihl side the new MS241 looks promising.
Madsens won't steer you wrong, I've done business with them since the early 1980's when Ralph Madsen [Sam's dad] was still at the front counter of their old store.
On one visit in Centralia the Madsens kept me at their house for 3 days...free room and board.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$740 msrp seems easy enough to swallow. How is the 562xp out of the box? How does it take to porting and such?

I should say that I would probably like to buy two rear handles and a top handle this season.

$740 msrp seems easy enough to swallow. How is the 562xp out of the box? How does it take to porting and such?

I should say that I would probably like to buy two rear handles and a top handle this season.
The 562XP is a hot rod right out of the box, best running saw I ever owned in 40 years.
Only saws I ever got ported were for competition use only, for work saw my chain filing skills and a muffler mod is all I need for the type of wood I cut.
If your looking to buy 2 rear handles and 1 top I would go with the Husqvarna T540XP, 550XP and 560XP [small mount b/c] or 562XP [large mount b/c]. We can't get the 560XP here in Canada but in the U.S. you can.

The 562XP is a hot rod right out of the box, best running saw I ever owned in 40 years.

Boy, thats quite a recommendation. That good ?

I bought and have been running a 372 the last few months....not the new shape with the big head and limited revs though. Its a good small-mid sized saw, and not so small that you have to bend right down low to reach every thing your cutting :thumbup:

You must have got lucky with your new 372, Reg. I found the new ones to be dogs, and very hard to start. I turned to the 576's, there's a thread on it in Chainsaw section. But continued good luck with your 372:thumbup:

I do believe the 562 is quite possibly the best chainsaw I have ever used. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar it is the standard by which I judge all saws anymore. I was in the 372 camp, and still am, but mine is starting to collect dust. The 562 is a game changer in the chainsaw industry.

You must have got lucky with your new 372, Reg. I found the new ones to be dogs, and very hard to start. I turned to the 576's, there's a thread on it in Chainsaw section. But continued good luck with your 372:thumbup:

Its a new saw but old stock I believe cory. My buddys new generation 372 is a dog though. Wasnt moved by that 562 vid posted earlier, but will give one a try if I get chance.

Boy, thats quite a recommendation. That good ?
Trust me

I own a 372 I bought new in 2007 one of the early models everyone raves about. Great saw and still runs strong for me. But now a days I'll grab my 562 before I grab my 372.

2nd best saw I owned was my first Stihl 064 I bought new in 1986 when I was hand falling.
Those early 064s were as light as a 046 but with the blessing of 85cc

I got two 365 Specials that are still goin strong after ten years.

Most durable dependable mid size saws I've ever had. The superior air filtration is what attracted me to them initially.

Original tops and bottoms on both of em!

Cost of 100 octane racing fuel just jumped to 9 bucks a gallon here!

Nothin but the best for my old antique saws!

Jomo

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nVOw4EuNByU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have ADD. If I ever had to run a saw that slow I would probably loose focus and wander off into the woods. Does the chain actually have cutters on it?:lol:

OK, in all seriousness, I'm sure the large block is to give a larger disparity between the stock and modded times, but I wouldn't use a saw that small on larger wood. Is that red oak? It usually cuts like butter.

Yes if your gonna do a video demo cut a 14" poplar round and make it impressive:D

The 365-372XPs are going the way of the Stihl 044-066, excellent for their day but todays saws are developed for another generation of wood cutters way into the future.

Take the 372XP for example, same basic saw design and operator controls [besides intergrated choke/fast idle] since the 162 was introduced way back in 1975-'76.
Husqvarna will be introducing shortly a big brother for the 60cc class 562XP, which will probably be called the 572XP.
I have owned my 562XP for a year and a half now and the AutoTune with RevBoost revs like my race modified old school saws run but burning half as much fuel and a heck of a lot more reliable.
I appreciate the new single master control switch with the auto return stop, no more fumbling setting the on-off switch, [540 has same feature] great for aerial work..
Ergonomics and balance leaving the old school box design in the past is also greatly appreciated.

I have a 372 and a 272 before it they've both been good and lasted a long time but it feels a little heavy and agricultural next to the 560.
And yes, I know the 372 has more cc so will be heavier, but the power gain is not that significant (IMHO)

Newer saws run hotter in larger diameters. 560 won't run long in hardwood with bars longer than 16" here.
262 had same problem. Fine limbing saws but no umpf like in larger saws.

I guess, Magnus, it highlights one of the differences between logging and tree surgery/arboriculture.
if we (tree climbers/arboromoculturalists) want to buck up a trunk or fell a large diameter tree, we can reach for a bigger saw because we wont have to carry it all day.

or modernity, my 076 is a piece of rubbish next to the 066 or 288 both with lower cc (fun to use but slow all the same)

Sean
We have the Husky 562xp and it is the first go to saw now when we need a mid size saw. just my .02

Back