Costs of running saw(s) per year.

Well yes there would be a point where it would be more wise to upgrade equipment rather than experiance down time for equipment that has became no longer reliable .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That point is not the same for all. A lot of factors are to consider in this and giving it some thought will often pay off.
To do that you need to know about how much you spend on what.

Im not sure I follow the gist of this thread. I buy saws, when they croak, I throw them in the bone pile and get another. Ive nevr really owned a bad saw that gave me problems over and over. Most of my saws have only ever had the spark plug changed and maybe a new handlebar or something.

That is good.

Do you know what it cost you to have the saws? That is what I intended this thread to be about.

I know it is not important for a variety of reasons, but some need to keep track of costs and chase the $€£ were they can.
There is always something you can do to make sure you get the most out of your saws and money spent on them.

Before most went to dealer said what they needed saw for and left with a saw dealer thought was appropriate.
Good dealer, good purchase.

Now many buy from Internet and supermarkets were they don't have this privilege of getting help from these guy's.
It sets higher demands on the buyer and the number of purchases that is not optimal or in some cases totally wrong is climbing rapidly.

Those who focus on one type of work rarely need 10 saws but want it for fun or just for the hell of it, that is another thing.

What you need to do your job and get the most out of your saw to as small cost as possible will not be found in a web store or supermarket.

Some don't have local dealers they can go to, others are interested and want to learn as much as they can to make the right choice.
To get this info it can be costly and often very disappointing

The saw company that makes my saws have a policy about their stuff not being sold on the net or from any old hardware store.
They want their saws to be backed up by a dealer.

Sound policy IMO.

I'd be more happy with their policy if I could find one dealer that carried the larger saws; not a 660 to be had in this area that I could find. Pretty sad for the amount of dealers we have in and around a city of about 1 million people. Of course they can all order one.:|:

I service all but those who by new saws on internet rather than here.
If I can't be there to set it up right, I can't be there to fix the problems.
If it is bought on internet, they can deal with the issues from it there too.

Well it makes sense the dealers would sell 6 dozen 290's as to one 660 .A new 660 is a pretty hefty sum of money for a chainsaw .

The dealers in this area might have one 660 in stock.However the distributer is in Cincinati which is two hours away so it doesn't take long to get several if a person wanted them .

The dealer I do business with sends orders in twice a week .If in the event he doesn't have a part I seldom have to wait over 4 days which I consider pretty good .I've waited longer than that for automobile parts .

My husky dealer has my parts ands saws fixed for me within 48 hours if I break something. He prioritizes my saws. Why I don't know. But he does. He is very good to me.

I get parts next day if they are in stock here in Sweden and two day's if they are in stock in Europe.

Normally If I have the stuff, I fix the saw while customer wait or he gets a loaner/demo and pick it up at the end of day or next morning on the way to work.

Saws aren't a real cost to me. By far my biggest cost is bar oil, fuel, files, grease, sprockets, bars pretty much in that order. I get a new top handle every 2 years but the others last 5 plus years easily

Normally about 1x 20 litre bar oil per month, 5 or so files per month, bars about 6 months. 100 ft box .325 lasts me a year plus, 100 ft box 3/8 058 about every 8 - 10 months

You run thru lots of chain. Lots of residential cutting tend to increase filing and object discovering.

Back