August Hunicke Videos

America's tree hero just put out a new vid… CHECK IT OUT!!!
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t6b1vw2rKps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

August, was that tree broken off at the base or up rooted?

Also, did you do that vid to help promote the Xrings for the Xman? How many of those slings do you have? You sure make them look handy.... Nice work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, It was slowly uprooted but held up by adjacent trees. August did the vid because that's what he does, very, very well. Treework and video, yep.

Promoting rings for the Xman was just a bonus, it's like killing two birds with one stone… when you like and believe in a product it's good to give back in ways that you can, when you can.

August has as many slings as you see in the vid, likely maybe one or two more that are not in sling form. They are very handy Eric, put them on your list at treestuff.com. Thanks for watching!!!

THE TREEHOUSE ROCKS!!!

Thanks Jomo. I've met him. He taught me how to splice 16 strand for split-tails years ago.

I haven't seen Jim in years. He was one of the first gear junkies I knew.. Met him mid '90's at a TCC. He worked for me on a couple jobs years ago. He was living in Wa...had allegedly joined up with JZ Knight out of Yelm, the cultist who channels Ramtha. Heard he joined the commune, giving them many of his worldly possessions...... that's just a rumor, tho.

I haven't seen Jim in years. He was one of the first gear junkies I knew.. Met him mid '90's at a TCC. He worked for me on a couple jobs years ago. He was living in Wa...had allegedly joined up with JZ Knight out of Yelm, the cultist who channels Ramtha. Heard he joined the commune, giving them many of his worldly possessions...... that's just a rumor, tho.

Thanks for the update on Jim Harris Rog!

Long as he's still alive n climbin? He'll prolly be alright! Very fast in his day.

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
August, was that tree broken off at the base or up rooted?

Also, did you do that vid to help promote the Xrings for the Xman? How many of those slings do you have? You sure make them look handy.... Nice work.

Undermined and by creek and ground-heaved uprooting. I hope the video helps promote the rings. They are a specialty item that serve a very handy purpose. I've been using them nearly every day.

Nice vid. :thumbup:
Well thought out on the rigging. What did you use for the log from the bridge down?

I just handed short chunks up to the guys on the bridge til it was below the height of the bridge by an inch. left it for a snag after that and told them to kill it with some sort of highly toxic radioactive poison.

"guess i've talked enough" ha ha, enjoyed that, didn't fully understand what was going on ,I will have to watch it again to figure it all out, but it looked smooth.
(I'll mute the music though!)

I was wondering if they are really that much better than a shackle? I'm starting to think it might be cool to get a smaller one and make it into one of those ultra slings for light quick rigging.

I have about eight blocks for tree use all the way from a $100 5/8 ‘junker’ to make a single X Rigging Ring remote settable and retrievable to a 3/4 Hobbs that will handle amazing forces and a 1 1/4 inch aluminum block for long runs on big stuff.

Personally if I were buying/replacing with all new gear tomorrow I would buy 2 or 3 great blocks that would sit at home or in my truck idle most of the time as all my blocks do now. And I would have a rigging bag full of XRRs with only a few more than I have now (have about 10 or so in diff. configurations).

The only thing I wouldn’t use them for is long runs (further than 150 ft. in a tree to the ground) under heavy load. In one of the XRR original vids by David he used them to lower extreme loads with no heating problems or adverse wear to bull rope or XRRs.

Lighter and easier to set, totally different sensation when hanging off your saddle and it bangs you in the knee than a five lb. block, frequently remote retrievable (fun to jerk out of a completed remote location and watch it sail past you in a tree saving you 40 feet of climb), sometimes remote settable, light enough to keep the ‘terminal’ Triple XRR on your saddle as you climb and work a take down, toss em out of the tree to a soft spot when done.

Just as a warning, David doesn't recommend using a single ring for your terminal rigging point. In his original “Test to Destruction” video that was the only way he got a bull rope to break I believe.

Are they better than using a pulley?

Whether you have the rings or not, there will still be applications that are best suited for a pulley, it's just that there are a ton of more frequent applications that are glowingly and more efficiently met by the rings due to the incredible portability and ease of using them.

I was wondering if they are really that much better than a shackle? I'm starting to think it might be cool to get a smaller one and make it into one of those ultra slings for light quick rigging.

Yes, better than shackle. Light, bigger turn radius than shackle even as single, one unit with sling, less heat. The triple is awesome for what you are describing. Light enough to carry without noticing on your belt. Strong enough for loads you would hesitate to lower with a single biner or shackle because you have a nice big turn radius. Plus no assembly required!! And no chance of dropping the pin.

I have a few ISC blocks that I use for redirects and rigging. Heavy as all hell -as we know. I'm looking forward to replacing them with the triple Xring config soon. Most of my rigging is under 300lbs so the rings would make more sense in those applications.

My latest video. . . Shot Sunday (3.16.14) with Lawrence Schultz who visited all the way from New York City. Good Times.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9KmaibXT6yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back