August Hunicke Videos

A lot of work to dry out gear for tomorrow's rain. Try to get boots and rain gear dried, and call it good.

Warm and dry is an illusion. Warm and wet, pnw winter tree work.

We used to have a little drying room in Portland at the shop. Nice to have dry gear for a whole 5 minutes in the morning. More to keep the mold and stench down in the trucks...

I think it's dangerous. More accidents happen when things are wet.

I tore my bicep trimming a rain-soaked live oak

It's more dangerous, to a degree. Straight up Doug fir pruning or removal is about the same. A lot of spur work is about the same, with effective use of a climbing line on spreading trees.

Spurless work on complex trees, leave it for another day. I have a tricky canopy raise on a big doug-fir over a house that I'm waiting for dry weather, for sure.

I did a gutter in recently. Minor hit by a small limb, but enough. $300. Being wet didn't help. Rain gear cluster-F's me. I thought it was going to clear. Bad judgment not to rig it.

Crazy wet weather. I am like Scott. A fair weather tree man. But as stated... Owner Operator can play that. Emergency calls though.. I'll go out in the snow for the right money on spurs or ground.

How much do you run that many guys on jobs, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a regular crew and extra guys to supplement, or all regular, or...

Looks like a solid group to be put on that project.

I usually run 3-4. Pretty consistent. Slow right now in my neighborhood. Scary slow.
Cool job tomorrow though stay tuned. 😀

Speaking of rain, do you guys in the PNW (Sean, August, Willie) have a recommendation for a brand of good heavy rain gear?

Fred I picked up a set of Carhart, bibs and jacket, I haven't climbed in them but for ground work I was dry as a bone. We did a few days in the pouring rain an easy lot clearing mostly floppers with two bucket trees. Mud on the other hand is an issue you gotta wash all your lines PITA I tell ya.

Well, Im not one of those guys, but I am in the pnw. :)

We wear watershed goretex cutting timber. Light, and not as hot as a lot of other gear. I like the durability too, YMMV.

Good work August, as usual. Good to see Im not the only one working in the rain.

Speaking of rain, do you guys in the PNW (Sean, August, Willie) have a recommendation for a brand of good heavy rain gear?

Can't speak for them, but a lot of commercial fishermen wear Grundens. I've still got my bibs and coat from salmon fishing, and they are bulletproof, very heavy duty.

Grunden's has a lighter version called Gage, if I'm not mistaken. Hi Viz or low viz.

I don't have a favorite. I don't wear rain gear often.

Arborwear seem to get some water repellency with enough use.

I bought some no-name hi-viz soft shells that we have been wearing this fall. I like them a lot.

Sometimes I wear my Mountain Hardwear gore-tex shell jacket.

Just keep working to stay warm.

FJR, do you tend not to get rained out or are you just looking to get good gear for when you get caught out and are trying to finish the day?

It really depends on the type of work we are doing. If the work is really technical or difficult then I will call it. Much more often than not though, we are working in the rain. We have light duty rain gear for an extended periods of light rain or short bursts of heavy rain, but we need something for the heavier rain. The more the business grows the more important it is for us to keep working, therefore we just have to suck it up. Like August said in his video, it does make you appreciate the nice days more.

:thumbup:

You used to post some work pics, including of the grapple, you should keep doing it!

Hurricane rain gear is what I always wore on the coast. We called it warm gear, not rain gear. Because as others have mentioned, the goal is to stay warm not dry.

IMG_1203.JPG

That's not me in the picture. :D

I don't know. Finer sawshops everywhere(well atleast in BC ;)) sell it though.

Always assumed hurricane was the brand. Therefore it was made by hurricane. Never gave it much more thought than that.

A single burner stove and propane bottle can be an easy, cheap, durable investment in staying warm, especially under bad conditions like storm work. You can make hot drinks and heat soup. Thermos-es/ thermal bottles are a good thing. I bring a thermos of hot coffee everyday. A couple cans of stew or soup stashed in the truck...good as gold, at times. Keeping food in people is important to keeping them warm and working safely. I try to keep a box of non-perishables, and a loaf of bread and PBJ in the truck, available to the crew.

Back