August Hunicke Videos

Damien shouldn't be held accountable for funds on the stump error,should have something in writing,like copy of work order or a txt to reflect on. Then he can take blame for the mistake but definitely not be expected to forfeit wages.
I have coughed up some dough a couple times while an employee,I had 2 incidents,busted up a good portion of sidwalk once and had the boom truck ghost ride down a hill the other time....

"Charlie Brown's mom" 😂😂 nailed it,you know exactly what it is.

You rock,Damien rocks,shit happens.
Just can't be the same shit happening over and over again(jackknife chipper,misunderstanding on job specs,contributing to damaging fence haha,although there will be a many more fences to be damaged in his days I'm sure lol.) you don't need to hear this from me lol,obviously,just sayin.

indeed, dang humans anyway. . .

I don't really think Damien should pay for it. He should be made aware of the cost of it, IMO.

The more money I can make, the more I can share. The more money that gets wasted, the less the crew gets.

Nope. And how about please don't jack knife the chipper to the point of smashing the battery box. It's brand new and I prefer a sharp image.
If you have to get out and look then do it but don't smash the box under any circumstances.
Battery box is smashed.

I feel your pain!!:X

How bout this, backing up the chip truck and chipper, on the radio: Ok bring it back, cmon back, cmon back, I'm watching, cmon back, 15', 10', slow down, (no slowing), slow down, Stop!!! STOP!! W T F!!

Said he "couldnt really hear" me. Dented front bumper on undented pick up.

The more money I can make, the more I can share. The more money that gets wasted, the less the crew gets.[/QUOTE]

Really? seems a strange way of going about things.

They should avoid breaking things for two reasons.

1. It's basic professionalism to care for the work gear.

2. They'll get a bollocking/the evil eye if they damage something through their incompetence/inattention.

Or to put it another way, they should not be breaking stuff because of some vague promise of an indeterminate amount of money later on. They should not be breaking stuff (through incompetence/maluse/inattention) because breaking stuff is clearly the wrong thing to do.

I agree, Mick, and out of professionalism bosses should train and protect employees, provide and require PPE, choose safety over their big, fancy house, not whip them for production, but...

You only hire employees to make money off of them, unless you're a not for profit or something. No sense beating around the bush with it. If they start costing money by wrecking stuff or hurting themselves or others then it becomes a poor business decision.

Good employees are worth their weight in gold because they make you money.

I agree, Mick, and out of professionalism bosses should train and protect employees, provide and require PPE, choose safety over their big, fancy house, not whip them for production, but...

I don't see how safety and the big fancy house (for the boss) are mutually exclusive.

(Ps, touching wood here whilst talking about safety)

Mick, definitely not mutually exclusive.

Definitely has happened that owners/ share-holders profit from other people's unnecessary and illegal risks.

A local hack has waterfront property, and a slew of injured employees.

11 years ago, when I first moved to town, working for one company (guy I worked along side, now has or had facial paralysis from a soooo avoidable work accident, rolled truck racing backwards for a forgotten something in boss' driveway just after I got the F out), along side another company, I ( the newest guy) had to stop the guy who almost cut his thumb off at work (2 bosses and other employees shooting at the 145 pound guy how to one-hand an MS250 in the bucket for his first time), so working one-handed (naturally, right... Maimed with repair work still healing), was pushing stuff into a 12" chipper with his foot. Nobody else ever told him NO.

Almost killed another guy falling out of a tree.
Almost killed another guy crushing him between the mini excavator and truck.
Log through wall of nursery with sleeping baby.
On and on.

August, what is at the heart of all these over sights?

Do you tell him, and he says "ok"?
To me, this pretty clearly indicates to me that my employee heard someone say something, probably me. Also usually indicates to me that I will be repeating myself at some point, either stopping them from doing what they thought I said, or when they come back to ask the questions about what to do, I'll repeat the loud, clear, concise, specifically chosen, unambiguous words, again.

Back to the unnecessary shaking of the 140'+ crispy, bark falling off, Doug-fir I was strapped to.

I don't know Sean, I think Damien is listening for the jist, he constantly thinks for himself which is both a good quality and a major annoyance. The good part is that a crew leader can be MacGyver-
resourceful if they can think for themselves and not harass the boss with millions of phone calls for every little thing.
But it can be annoying if you are telling them specifics because you know more of the big picture that you don't have time to mention at the moment.
Case in point, Friday, in the morning, telling them what trucks they needed. Told them they needed the bucket truck, the chip truck and chipper, and the black truck and Vermeer.
His brain immediately omitted the bucket truck because he thought he knew enough about the job they were going to that he didn't need it. What he didn't know is there was more work that I had negotiated nearby that was mandatorily ideal for the bucket. If I say something specific, I want it followed, this is important to me because I give them tons of latitude with most things, I say always, "figure it out."
If I start listing details, PAY ATTENTION!

aug

Written notes may help. A shirt pocket-sized note pad, or a bit of scrap papert, to jot stuff down might help.

I tell my guys that just like any other successful business, if the employees aren't going to remembered everything the boss tells them, they write it down. The boss has a part in writing things down, too.

Maybe a dry-erase checklist of vehicles and tools would help.

I think I should text rigging plans to millennials. Lol and smh!!

It screws me up when I've been working for an hour when guys show up, and then I have to say things three times, double check twice, to get out the door once. I try to make notes that I can hand to people, and same in return (or write the note and put in front of the speedometer to get gas in said truck).

Printing of one (possibly Rite in The Rain ) paper form with checklists and details like stump height, firewood length, clean-up requirements, job address and emergency info (hospital, fire station, etc), vehicle and equipment needs, etc, might help most crews.

Thanks Jer.
Reg, fault was mostly mine.
It was his for not tightening it up enough but mine for not making him fix it. I introduced slack into the system by the way I had it anchored. He wasn't aware that I was going to do that. But I needed to anchor it that way because the back stem had a really rotten spot down below me a short ways. So the stems were set to work together but needed the forwards stem to be first.
He was pulling his tension through a couple wraps of the tree angel rather than tightening it with a half wrap and then cinching it off. You've probably seen people do that, pulling their tension with wraps already on the device. Silly.
I knew it was a little loose but I went ahead because it was light and we had massive height. I was basically trusting him because he's on that end of the rope all the time, even though it nagged at me mentally. . .And he was trusting me not to make a cut that I didn't approve of.
There was a line of cars waiting which had him wanting to rush. I didn't mind the audience… Not until I crashed the fence that is.

aug

I just watched that bit again. You were gambling with that long top at such a steep line angle. Not sure any amount of pre tightening would've saved things...because you're still going to get a lot of slack the way you had it set up. Kevins Rig/Wrench works great for such situations because you can tighten with zero friction, and furthermore suck all the slack out as the top starts to fold. Other than that, the guys maybe should've abandoned the tree angel thing and just walked the line back across the road for a wider line angle and more clearance. With those intercoms that you wear, it should be an easy discussion to have. It proves yet again how ignoring or overlooking a small detail will so often take a bite out of you. Gotta speak up whenever there's an element of doubt.
Great repair job BTW :thumbup:

Agreed, great repair job to the fence! I personally wouldn't have tried to zipline those tops. The zipline is brilliant for the limbs, but when I get to the tops, I'm just gonna butt tie and rig them over, with a high tagline to pull them back over that fence. Not as elegant for sure, but guaranteed to work. Keep in mind that where I live, nothing is that tall, 100 footers are exceptionally large, so ziplining is not always a good option for the tops. Love this video August! Great stuff...

Yeah Reg, had those thoughts, the ones of them just backing up.
Ignored my inkling and charged ahead.

aug

Back