August Hunicke Videos

Sean, we made a quick setup for the HD BMG Scoops because the stock setup kept resulting in bent pins. For the regular non HD scoops, we have not made any changes to the stock design because it works fairly well.

A single burner stove and propane bottle can be an easy, cheap, durable investment in staying warm, especially under bad conditions like storm work. You can make hot drinks and heat soup. Thermos-es/ thermal bottles are a good thing. I bring a thermos of hot coffee everyday. A couple cans of stew or soup stashed in the truck...good as gold, at times. Keeping food in people is important to keeping them warm and working safely. I try to keep a box of non-perishables, and a loaf of bread and PBJ in the truck, available to the crew.

Sounds like a great idea. Cheap and effective.

I have a guy, if I buy him a large coffee and $8 worth of 7/11 food, he will blow away any nasty job with ease. :drink:

I don't really do rain gear anymore, just layer up and work. In Alaska, Grundens is what I liked, they make some high end stuff that is lightweight but tough

I don't really do rain gear anymore, just layer up and work.

I used to go back and forth on that myself Willie. From a hurricane jacket vs just poly pro, a wool based shirt and then a wool jersey and adjust layers as nescessary. I should've clarified before I was never much for rain pants. I wore cutting pants always so it would have to be pretty miserable to go full rain pants.

I used to go back and forth on that myself Willie. From a hurricane jacket vs just poly pro, a wool based shirt and then a wool jersey and adjust layers as nescessary. I should've clarified before I was never much for rain pants. I wore cutting pants always so it would have to be pretty miserable to go full rain pants.

Rain gear would have me sweating and I'd be just as wet only miserable hot. In AK my job wasn't very physical so a lightweight Grundens pull over was sweet. Maybe we should recommend tin wear :/:

Rain gear would have me sweating and I'd be just as wet only miserable hot.
I agree, but I prefer to be wet and hot than soaked and cold.
I wear rain gear only when the rain become serious though, because it's not really fun to bring that up in the tree.
A small rain doesn't bother me too much, as the water has the time to warm up going throw my different cloth's layers. It's all good ... until the saw pants doubles its weight by the stored water!

Helly-Hanson rain-grear is what the fishermen use here, and it proved durable in the brush when clearing right of way, and fairly resistant to sparks when burning. But the Tin Pants and tops breathed better for sure.

For tops I like Rab for rain gear. Works well and doesn't have any impact on personal temperature.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sAeBdjMtTWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice vid!

Drone shot showing line angles is awesome.

Did you want a big gap on that 'bird mouth' face or was that just how it worked out. In other words is the gap critical in addition to the importance of the extra tall/open face.

When we are felling by a fence like that we always have a guy on other side or at least watching other side full time to make sure no one will die in case of mishap.

The remote winch control is pretty awesome.

Back of hinge did not need to be so tall but it definitely didn't hurt.
Saw was running out. Old chain way down with questionable bar. Kept banana cutting. We talked to Neighbor's.
Butch, felling saved time.

Cory, if you watch the hinge-wood while the tree is tipping, with a gap, more times you'll see the tree pull the the wood fibers (hinge-wood) across the stump.

With a wide open face, like August used in this vid, applied to younger trees they often never leave the stump. They'll be on the ground and still attached to the stump. Of course young trees, being composed of more sapwood, on a volume basis, will always have more resilient hinge-wood by it.

Back