August Hunicke Videos

I've seen a lot of you yanks using those, I didn't realise it was a "thing"
Don't think they've really caught on this side of the Atlantic, they look handy though.

Great videos August! When and why do you use an unmanned lowering line? It did make for some great shots! Thanks for all the hours of shooting and editing, I've learned a lot from your efforts.

Yeah. It keeps the piece moving yet restrains it enough to hit a smaller area under the tree.

Ask Carl, for me the main difference is that you can lock the Vermeer straight out in front like a parrot beak or sideways like an ant.
When ant oriented you can lift it up and easily grab a large rigged piece and drag it away from the lowering spar. The bm requires mastering the dangle claw, swing and grab maneuver.
Dangling is probably best option with a machine that articulates though.

I have a BMG on an s800tx and love the hell out if it. The bollard on the BMG is worth it alone. We use the mini like a GRCS and have folded up some pretty big trees in tight places. The combinations in rigging that can be accomplished are awesome! It's at least worth looking into and with some practice you don't meed to get off the machine to adjust the grapple.

Great videos August! When and why do you use an unmanned lowering line? It did make for some great shots! Thanks for all the hours of shooting and editing, I've learned a lot from your efforts.

It was def some experimental rigging. Since i've started contracting in Cali i've had a really bad luck with random rope guys, so much so that i've taken to lowering things myself when possible. but negative rigging wood is the biggest challenge, especially when the pieces start to get heavy/ big. i was trying to create enough friction with a double blocking configuration (safebloc on the spar, regular x-rings on the piece to be rigged) when the tail flew up like a bullwhip and caught my hearing protection :O

A few things caused this- 1) you need 3x's the length of rope to get the piece down in this configuration because of the doubling over of the rope. my rope was not long enough 2) initially the rope needs to move 3x's faster than normal to let it run past the climber. since i just up and dumped the weight into the system it pulled that tail up to me 3x's faster than the other pieces where i had just been lowering directly from the safebloc.

in conclusion, don't try it at home. i'm still experimenting with it. is it risky? it sure is but i do it so you don't have to ;) so if/ when i do figure a safe way to do it (& yes i do have a few ideas) i will share it

I got on and off to get the BMG to do some tricky stuff for about 2-3 days. Since then, no getting off.

A video of trickery would help new operators.

Does the Vermeer grapple have a tow receiver option?

It was def some experimental rigging. Since i've started contracting in Cali i've had a really bad luck with random rope guys, so much so that i've taken to lowering things myself when possible. but negative rigging wood is the biggest

Sometimes it's how you word it. If a guy messes up consecutively, I tell him with the next one that I don't want him to lower it.....rather, just slow it down as it falls to the ground. Next thing you know they've got it near perfect.

Polydyne is also a good investment. Even when they mess it up, it doesn't feel anywhere near as bad because of the stretch.

Thanks for the "strobe" turn of phrase Cory.

Ya know, I was thinking of that concept when I was watching this vid in the monkey beav thread. I think you did a nice job here (not that what I think matters) with the strobe vid helping tell the tale. Strobing stinks imo when it is so quick as to be nearly indecipherable and/or when it has no particular meaning.

I bet some folks are loathe to hang with you for fear of ending up all over the 'net, lol.

Imo, Don't strive to be like Casey. Do your own August thang :drink:

Ya know, I was thinking of that concept when I was watching this vid in the monkey beav thread. I think you did a nice job here (not that what I think matters) with the strobe vid helping tell the tale. Strobing stinks imo when it is so quick as to be nearly indecipherable and/or when it has no particular meaning.

I bet some folks are loathe to hang with you for fear of ending up all over the 'net, lol.

Imo, Don't strive to be like Casey. Do your own August thang :drink:

Who's Casey?

Oh yeah, Neistat I bet. Yeah VLOG style vids are influenced by him. Not my production vids tho... Vlog vids are sort of farted out.

Back