August Hunicke Videos

Missed you at the lake....
7ab442d2e57f4bcfb5d6824c58ef3706.jpg
caught ya on the highway!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Azn_uo7-klU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I liked it. I can understand any frustration you had while watching him do it. Not bringing him down at all but it's hard to coach when it is on your dime. I just try to keep thinking about the final score not the present when I have a guy up in the tree.

haha, I thought when you told him to go from the gut, he just nailed the face, then I saw him come in and look, not holding the saw.

He did a good job. A job to grow from.

I've never seen a sawyer start so hard in one corner on both felling cuts. I trained lots of newbs, often 'college boys' (and ladies) for forestry/ invasive species work at the conservation corps that I worked for in NV, in addition to residential tree work. Fwiw, especially on a funky shaped stem like he was up against, I find getting a feller to actually mark out his front of hinge, then cut the face, then mark the back of hinge, and cutting the back-cut, separates judgment of where the cut should be, from the act of cutting. People often get too much going on mentally, as beginners. So easy to cut way to deep, or cut off the hinge.

Also, when the new feller is using a spotter, having a clearly marked line for the rear of the hinge helps avoid confusion/ error in judgment. When there is a stump-shot, the spotter has to judge where the hinge fibers are, and can confuse (arbitrarily) 1" from the facecut as 1" of hingewood. Instead, the spotter just need to watch the distance to the mark, and focus on accurate communication to the sawyer.

I always like to see into the lives of other tree crews. I work so much in a vacuum here, in Olympia. Thanks for the video.

I never, ever rest the bottom of running saw on my body. I pretty much don't ever. I don't want it ever in my muscle memory. That position seems to be the biggest contributor to cut pants/ legs.

Great tips on marking it out. I?ve never done that or taught that. Sounds like a cool classroom type exercise (great video subject).
Starting out as a young cutter, because of the ?vacuum? I was in, I didn?t even know of the sights on saws and shot instinctively, literally for years. Later when I was well down the career path and holding my own on all crews I worked with. I came across Jerry?s book and read him referring to instinct on the undercut. Which hit home cause it was my same mode as taught primally by the vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my phone I see up above there that the keyboard is placing question mark where there should be an apostrophe. I can?t do anything about that.

Here is a test of me using only the apostrophe or quotation symbols.

????????????????????????

Back