August Hunicke Videos

These phrases pretty much sum up my regular experiences.....

People can't make up their own decisions about if its important to listen to details, especially from the boss.

You can't treat employees like children, even when they act like it.
Actually, you can in polite subtle ways :/:

Stupid shit happens when people take short-cuts.
Guys constantly think there is a faster easier way while the boss ain't lookin
Plan the work, work the plan eludes them.

Nope. And how about please don't jack knife the chipper to the point of smashing the battery box. It's brand new and I prefer a sharp image.
If you have to get out and look then do it but don't smash the box under any circumstances.
Battery box is smashed.

My poor trailers and trucks are proof, that this is a reoccurring thing.

Funny thing, I used to work for a non-profit conservation corps/Americorps program. There were some people who were very irresponsible with things like PPE, saw files, uniforms, etc, always needing new stuff due to loss or whatever. The people who could keep track of theirs were having older gloves, older files, uniforms, etc before replacement. The responsible ones suffered ultimately (minorly) from the irresponsible ones. The Corps was harder to grow, with newer gear when people were wasting money on loss/ breakage.

I said, why don't we just issue everyone complete everything once, and anytime they wanted to trade in stuff, no problem, no questions asked. Why don't we just tell them when they needed stuff replaced due to loss/ breakage from neglect, no problem, we'd just deduct it from their living stipends. Holy Shit did loss and breakage go down. In reality, there was no intention of taking any money from anyone's stipend, even if we could. Budgets started going farther.

Finding ways of rewarding/ recognizing good performance in a more concrete way works for some. I've heard of the owner putting up a "party fund" or "gear fund", from which negligent breakage/ loss is deducted. Makes the team work together (maybe).

Tracks do smooth cookies (no chatter) on wet surfaces. Snow is best.

aug

A couple of things, Good on you damage does happen. When it's dusty out or the cotton weeds are dropping cotton I'll take a blower to my machine a few times a day, blow out the radiator and engine bay. I call it pavement butter usually a scoop or two of wood chips by the chipper for the hard spin.

So, after having a safety meeting and assign jobs to everyone, one of my guys dumps a tree onto the primaries.
I told him not to fell any trees as they all need lines in them and some are near primaries. He was only up there to assist the excavator and clean up a downed tree.
CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT!
People just don't fuggen listen.....
"Sorry man, it's all my fault and I just did not see the lines" when the felled the tree at them.
I told to come see me before any more work up there or see me about what trees.
"I figured they were marked, sooooo."
frig

No fires and no one died. But geeeeeeez. I am so pissed off right now. Looks like over a 500 foot run too. no poles broke.
Sorry August. No meaning to screw up the thread.
I shush now.

I am honored to have my thread help share the load if possible. That sucks. Makes me want to stop everything and start making laws.

aug

What happens in a situation like that? Do they charge you for the repair?

Is there any kind of insurance that covers something like that?

Nightmare stuff.

A local hack ran his log truck into a bunch of poles and wires, knocked out power to business etc. Word is he knew somebody at the power company (friend, relative, whatev) and he didn't pay a dime toward the damage.

We have a good rep. We know a few folks. Did not know the guy they sent out though. HO put in a good word for us. We have taken down a lot of trees he paid us to do that the subs for PG&E were not getting to, made a mess of, and were an environmental issue. They should be paying him :lol:
I think we did over 50 of their trees they did not have to pay to get done.

In my late 20s, I knocked the power out to a large area, Schools, shopping malls, police station, subdivisions under construction, a large area of the Issaquah plateau. Didn't damage any lines or poles though. Didn't get "charged."

aug

The power guys thought I was a miracle, said it wasn't possible to survive what I did. Hehe, were all trying to touch the hem of my garment to get luck LOL.

aug

There is no such thing as "I didn't see the line."

The only time that could possibly be true is if that person was blind.

I was subbing for a guy once, took out some lines, all my fault, poplar fell badly executed. village was blacked out.

Cost the guy €300 excess on his insurance.

Bad news Stephen, but not terrible. Don't sweat it too much.

Btw, no line or pole damage, how did you KO the power?

My 10million GL specifically EXCLUDES damage to power lines...hence I won't go near them. If I do work around power, premium will go up for sure.

Back