August Hunicke Videos

Call me weird but climbing and rigging is still the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job to me.

Me too, it's like therapy. But I don't need therapy all the time. I need money. Therapy is expensive. While I am in therapy I don't answer my phone or take care of all the boss man logistics of running the company.

Plus there is plenty of mundane tree work that makes money that I have no interest in doing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g9Yx7OfNhus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That set-up was frustrating to watch :)

I just dont know how Id feel about invading another guys headspace for the day....and vice verca.

I noticed the clip of the split redwood. Looked like the sloping cut was the ticket on the big log. Looking forward to watching the whole thing. If you havent already finished the edit, you should consider adding a rule-of-thumb to edits of that technique i.e the length of the log should not exceed that of the width more than 0.5, or something like that.

I cut down a big leaf maple up at cowichan lake a few years back. Pic below during the latter stages. Had another climber in the tree with me for the first couple of hours before any rigging was needed. This guys a pretty good climber, ex faller. About my age. Anyway, it was all going well, stuff getting blasted out every which way. Then I looked down to see him half way through a sloping cut....but on a 15 x 3 ft vertical log, the last cut of a huge limb hed been working on. His backs against the main trunk though. I shouted and balled but he couldnt hear or see me. As his saw passed through the last inch of holding wood the log inevitably slid off with the top part taking an anti-clockwise turn and heading towards him in the blink of an eye. Nothing he could do. An old pruning would 3 feet above his head had since grown a huge rib of callus. The falling log deflected off the callus and saved him a direct hit. He still had the wind knocked out of him. I just put my head in my hands and breathed. Without that callus he would've been toast. This was his job not mine, I was the hired help....his son was there watching the whole thing too. I didnt say anything, I didnt have to. Not until later when I texted 'your son nearly watched his dads death today....how do you feel about that ?'

Im saying it now, remembering that whole post-log-chasing-scene-discussion of the cotton wood video a while back. And for the sake of anyone here whos also not familiar. Its a great technique, but as I discovered, dont assume everyone can foresee its limitations, or inevitability. Probably its not in any such official training standards. So cover yourself. Looking forward to the vid August.
DSC02590 - Copy (2).JPG

Thank you Reg, Redwood loves to fiber lock even with a good salami slant. I find a strip of Teflon to be the secret ingredient. I probably should mention a few warnings but this first video will be all hype for entertainment purposes. Strobe video as Cory puts it. Basically to highlight the Arbor trolley which, rightfully so, makes out looking like Gods gift to branch management. It was a lifesaver. Stein should love the video although, I doubt they know it's coming. I actually recently almost bought a boxer but after getting the arbor trolley I'm postponing that purchase.
I might do a behind the scenes of bad trees 7 video at some point and talk about all the interesting details that surrounded that job. Getting hacked by criminals and going through all kinds of camera woe etc. I videotaped almost everything but don't have time for a long video right now. At least not the kind of long video that I like to make. Speed line kit will probably launch tomorrow and I need to quickly make two videos for that.... I'm starting to make certain plans and get an idea of the direction I want to take with all of this YouTube/social media stuff.

That all sounds great. Just cover your back is all I'm saying. Same as the undermining cuts previous. If its not mainstream, people take issue. Much easier to avoid the ineitable finger wagging with a pre-explanation.

So be it. I'll put something in the description.
Got salami cuts AND deep notches in this one LOL

Reg, the good thing is that you can turn connect and disconnect throughout the day with bump of a palm, much as you would try to shout to someone, but effectively getting their attention over noise. You don't have to stay connected all day. I wear ear plugs under my muffs...extra noise protection and prevents me from listening to heavy breathing and grunting.

The good thing is instead of shouting and not being heard like you described Reg with comm units you could've warned that other climber directly and effectively. Comm units are not an invasion of someone's headspace, they take treework up a notch imo. Dicey situations are handled calmly with clear communication. Once I'd used them working without them seemed like not a option.

The good thing is instead of shouting and not being heard like you described Reg with comm units you could've warned that other climber directly and effectively. Comm units are not an invasion of someone's headspace, they take treework up a notch imo. Dicey situations are handled calmly with clear communication. Once I'd used them working without them seemed like not a option.

I screamed and blew a whistle when I saw my former employee was setting up to making a blind cut by his SRT-down-strand. No luck. He had a 540 lanyard wrap, so he had fall arrest. He missed it, anyway. The whole thing would have been avoided with a simple, "No blind cuts. Know where your down-strand is." Much more professional. I don't know if the customer overheard or not.

Aside from, glad the trolley was useful. You outdone yourself with that vid. In my top 5 best ever tree vids. No kidding. I don't have an absolute favorite, but that ones right up there. What kid wouldn't want to do tree work after watching that ? Great team work no doubt, and brilliant edit on the vid :thumbup:

I had to watch it twice to take it all in. That was quite creative. You must be loving the drone. So you chipped that whole damn tree?? Yowsa!! What make is that slippery slider strip?

Kinda crazy the tech capability needed to make that vid but you can't or don't embed it...yin and yang!

Well done, thanks for posting!

Back