August Hunicke Videos

I use rope snap rigging very often. I used to worry about the bend radius etc, but after taking plenty of large pieces (approx 300- 400 lbs) with or without an intervening half hitch, and the bowline on the rope snap shows no sign of being seriously tightened up by from all the rigging, I think the bend radius of the rope on snap is a non issue. As the pieces get bigger I usually remove the snap and just use rope only.

Rope snap rigging rocks imo because it is so fast and also the rope throws well when needed due to the added tip weight.

Great post. Throws good, wam-bam done. btw, the snap in these latest videos is not my fav. The ones I love the most have a larger ring/outer eye diameter. Figure 8 to tie them on is nicer than bowline IMO. Tight to snap, less bulky and still "untieable." I gotta talk about this in a vid. When I was a Arborfest doing a rigging demo with Samurai Joe, Bonner whined about the snap rigging and made us switch to the politically correct arborist tripe that everything must have a bowline and a marl. Pisses me off to this day. Same kind of bs as the one-hand-ban wimps.

part 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mVC7QLKT6Xo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Figure 8 to tie them on is nicer than bowline IMO. Tight to snap, less bulky and still "untieable."

Geez, who knew a figure 8 could be used like that instead of just the usual stopper knot function. I have to try that. Thanks.

Always like it when I find your videos first thing in the morning. It gives me something to watch while I eat my breakfast.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QRrc3g09mjE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yHIeu-4gpTo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Re. Natural Crotch Rigging #3.

How were those fence posts set? Couldn’t you have lifted the ones by the entrance out with the skidder? Saved a lot of arseing about.

Fine video...I like how you dropped out of warp speed to see the cool things (big trucks, big equipment...).

And you have a wonderful little princess there. The family touch...priceless.

Let's see what the Saw King and Echo can do.

Re. Natural Crotch Rigging #3.

How were those fence posts set? Couldn?t you have lifted the ones by the entrance out with the skidder? Saved a lot of arseing about.

In concrete. As always around here.

Aug

You?re better running the chain a bit loose on those battery saws, it does help.

You do have to use them a bit differently, don?t use the ?dogs? like on your 200t, use a lighter touch.

When debranching you can?t cut flush or it?ll pinch (as happens here) go out a couple of inches, then come back and cut straight through the collar.

For TDs they?re a bit sissy, but that saw in the vid should be better than that.

Just my take.

Edit, just got round to watching the last 10 minutes (finished my dinner) you seem to have got a better grip of it by then.

Do you mean a good saw to feed the chipper? Or prep brush for the chipper? I’m a big fan of chain speed which these have very little. In a few years maybe they’ll get there.

Yes prep at the chipper, no starter rope just trigger = less time. Sure its seconds but it annoys me watching a newb fumbling trying to start a saw.

No all the saw are tip top just lack of remembering how to start them. I have had one guy, a buddy of mine, that has worked with me for several years and every time it's fumble city. He has gotten better in the last few months but is leaving for a full time international sales position.

Back