August Hunicke Videos

Can you weld a bollard onto the grapple, a la BMG?

Looks like the rigid Vermeer grapple has more reach to go over the side of a dump trailer, maybe than a BMG dangle grapple. You can do some different tricks with it.

Good idea to lube the plywood with water.

August, this is definitely my favorite episode of the vlog series. You gotta take the high ground - the truth shall set you free. You are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you for putting that together.

So whos fault was it and why....you didn't actually say ?

Good video

X2 good video as usual.

It was August' fault!
Hahaaa I've done the same a few times myself,it's not possible to pretension the line enough to compensate for that much slack coming into the system after the cut and it's not realistic for us to expect the groundman to be able to pull the slack out in time to recover the tension before the piece comes down....

Thanks Jer.
Reg, fault was mostly mine.
It was his for not tightening it up enough but mine for not making him fix it. I introduced slack into the system by the way I had it anchored. He wasn't aware that I was going to do that. But I needed to anchor it that way because the back stem had a really rotten spot down below me a short ways. So the stems were set to work together but needed the forwards stem to be first.
He was pulling his tension through a couple wraps of the tree angel rather than tightening it with a half wrap and then cinching it off. You've probably seen people do that, pulling their tension with wraps already on the device. Silly.
I knew it was a little loose but I went ahead because it was light and we had massive height. I was basically trusting him because he's on that end of the rope all the time, even though it nagged at me mentally. . .And he was trusting me not to make a cut that I didn't approve of.
There was a line of cars waiting which had him wanting to rush. I didn't mind the audience… Not until I crashed the fence that is.

aug

Um, mostly? You are the captain, the captain is responsible for all that happens on his ship, good bad and ugly. I think you made that clear in your vid but your answer above just seemed a bit contradictory.

The technical details each worker is responsible for is a different question.

That wasn't the point I made Cory. I don't believe that everything that happens on the captains ship is the captain's fault. I know from personal experience that the captain was never at fault for anything and neither was the crew, the first mate [me] got blamed for everything. Nothing was ever the captain's fault and the crew got their orders directly from me. So if they made a mistake it was my fault. ... it sucked.
In this case Damien would be the first mate. And I was quick to blame him as per my programming LOL. That said, the truth of the matter is he didn't tighten it enough and I didn't force the issue. Blame can be shared or given all to me but it was never the point of the video to assign blame but rather to talk about moving on.

aug

When I'm roping stuff like that over targets I prefer they fly horizontally instead of vertically.

giphy.webp

X2 good video as usual.

It was August' fault!
Hahaaa I've done the same a few times myself,it's not possible to pretension the line enough to compensate for that much slack coming into the system after the cut and it's not realistic for us to expect the groundman to be able to pull the slack out in time to recover the tension before the piece comes down....

In this case, standard tightness would have kept it off the fence given the height.
He had substandard tightness even before the slack I gave it. But yes, my fault if I have to pick one person, which I don't. :p

aug

Here's a better and short answer, though slightly annoyed at his tensioning, I thought it would clear or I wouldn't have made the cut. So yeah, my fault. :/

aug

Agreed,you totally had the hieght in your favor,if u say it could have been tightened enough,I concur(see what i did there😉)-it didn't seem like that big of deal and I probably would have made the cut too. 😁 it takes two to tango and there is alot riding on the first mates shoulders.
You prove a valid point but as you stated-it's all about moving forward with confidence and positive moral,that last part is huge imo as well.
Excellent fix of the fence,I honestly can't count how many fences I've wiped out over the course...all in the past,live and learn right.

It's funny how we have all these minor (what seem little)details we are adamant about having done a certain way and the crew will think we are being particular or high maintenance when in reality it's our way of preventing these little things from happening again. I try to communicate that part when I'm barking orders around,it absolutely is a huge team effort.
Just funny when you tell these guys something and they look at you sideways,it's really only like that with guys that are new to my style nowadays,anyone who knows me knows that i want certain things done a certain way for a good reason.

It's funny how we have all these minor (what seem little)details we are adamant about having done a certain way and the crew will think we are being particular or high maintenance when in reality it's our way of preventing these little things from happening again. I try to communicate that part when I'm barking orders around,it absolutely is a huge team effort.
Just funny when you tell these guys something and they look at you sideways,it's really only like that with guys that are new to my style nowadays,anyone who knows me knows that i want certain things done a certain way for a good reason.

Dude! I'm going to show this post to my crew. I hate knowing that I sound like Charlie Brown's mom.
I am one of the most easy-going bosses in the world but when I say something specific it's because it matters. I go out of my way to concisely speak the details and Damien will consistently narrow the details way down and miss important info.
Thursday, it was leave the stump's high.
(The client was going to uproot them with an excavator.)
Damien flushed them off low.
Now back to that last video, I said, it looks like you're trying to tension the line with the wraps already on,
He must have heard, get it somewhat mediocre tight somehow.

aug

People can't make up their own decisions about if its important to listen to details, especially from the boss. This is just one fence, one stump, etc, but a pattern of inattention, like how my climbing rope ending up in the chipper about 5 years ago.

Two weeks ago, I made sure that I had their attention at least some of the 5 times I shouted down, "Please don't pull on the tree". Somehow, that wasn't good enough. When I shouted down "Stop pulling with the giant leverage you have on the big dead, cracked, rotten, shitty tree that I've strapped my life to the top of!!" They stopped shaking it while taking the pull line through the brush to a safe pulling location. They must have thought that pulling on the tree some was ok. Somehow "don't pull on the tree" was overlooked. Stupid me, thinking that I should pull the top (team effort), rather than just wedge it over, especially since I brought wedges and ax up the thing. Another example of employees being more trouble than they are worth, sometimes.

You can't treat employees like children, even when they act like it.

Since I'm ultimately responsible for everything and everyone, and most people's dangerous decisions put me at financial and physical risk, I don't trust people who are not trustworthy. If someone can't follow basic instructions, I give them less responsibility.

Is Damien going to cough up the money for the extra work on the stump?

Nope. And how about please don't jack knife the chipper to the point of smashing the battery box. It's brand new and I prefer a sharp image.
If you have to get out and look then do it but don't smash the box under any circumstances.
Battery box is smashed.

aug

Don't get me wrong tho, he's a keeper anyway. I have to rattle his cage a bit more I think.

aug

Stupid shit happens when people take short-cuts. My employee went to the hospital last week and now has a facial scar because he said to himself several times that he should shut the tool box since he wasn't using it anymore. He stood up right into it, and guess what...the steel didn't give a shit about the flesh on his cheek, and he would have lost his eye if he was 1" higher, i'd bet. Would have pushed his safety glasses right out of the way, with the way he stood up.

I strained my sore shoulder packing up, and didn't have him for a job where I needed extra ground support.

Other employee stood up into the grapple heel-spike working in the shop where there are at least 6 extra helmets. He lost out on most of a day of work, I lost out on production, leaving me to do lower-level stuff.

Don't wait for an injury or death to have a talk with him/ them!

Maybe set a goal with a reward.

I guess the constant harping on working safely got part way through to him.

"Charlie Brown's mom" 😂😂 nailed it,you know exactly what it is.

You rock,Damien rocks,shit happens.
Just can't be the same shit happening over and over again(jackknife chipper,misunderstanding on job specs,contributing to damaging fence haha,although there will be a many more fences to be damaged in his days I'm sure lol.) you don't need to hear this from me lol,obviously,just sayin.

Back