August Hunicke Videos

Many or most cranes mandate no tires touching ground, IME

Nice vid A, I know you find these standard work ones a bit of a yawn but I likes 'em!

I enjoyed the conversation with the client.

Typical telecon.....

"You cut some trees down for us a few years ago, do you remember?"

"I cut down a lot of trees, throw me a bone here"

On buckets, wheels on the ground if possible. Keep lots of out rigger boards. Put the most pressure on the negative side. Have a spotter watch your out rigger on the positive side when you boom out against it.

It's gonna depend on the job. If you're working off of the front or back of the truck, rubber won't matter much, except the tippy point. Working off of the side, I really prefer the loaded side to be touching.

So much energy stored just by the height of things, it's scary when we think on it.
You made some really great shots, good idea the target acquired thing !

I think about using Uber/ cab for shuttling. Outsourcing the need for taking another employee and truck from job site.

I like PC's idea about the motorcycle on the crane.

Tough dealing with someone without a license.

Cool video.

What is to become of the logs?

It's definitely not dangerous, just that things work better if the load is somewhat even.

Mid mount with only 2 jacks, you want all the tires on the ground. A buddy worked for Trees Inc some years back and took too much weight on the jacks even with the tires all on the ground. Probably a little too steep of a driveway but as the boom weight shifted forward the weight rocked over the jacks to the front axle, compressed the suspension and took enough weight off the back tires that they pushed the chocks down the road till the basket hit the trunk. The foreman jumped in the cab and stepped on the brake pedal which is the only way the front brakes work and called another crew. That crew ran the lower controls and as soon as the weight came off the tree the basket fell off leaving my buddy hanging. Good thing to keep in mind..

How can I contact the chainsaw guy/king? Unfortunately the best guy near me has passed away and I can't find anyone who can really understand what I'm asking as far as saw work goes.

Another fun video!!! I have only ever owned one modified saw, a 660 and it is awesome. It has more hours on it than any other saw I have ever owned. My favorite saw, I won't part with it...

If Rich wasn't already swamped with work he probably will be after people see this video.

S'funny, we run a 562 and a 560 (same but euro spec or something) great saws but the first saw that we grab every day is the 550. An absolute pocket rocket, light as a feather.

Your point about taking a tree out is a good one. A client's perception of danger from a tree (if it is implacable) can be as reasonable a motivation for tree removal as a genuinely dangerous tree.

About the only thing I won't do for a customer is top a tree, mostly because it looks awful and I do't want my name on it, as well as the trees health. As far as making a good tree into a stump, I'll do it if the customer wants it. I'll give them my honest opinion and if they still want it out then out it goes. I plant a fair number of trees every year so not worried about the karma at all.

Back