August Hunicke Videos

That's great August! Hard to believe it's been nine months. Heck I'm still claiming my wife is lying that it's been six months for mine. Oh, now I'm in a moment of terror. Mine could be mobile soon. Nothing is safe after that!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f4kvdOLhSNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very nice vid, thanks for posting. Looking forward to part two re the top and trunk.

The tree looked tall- as you work higher and the SL angle gets steeper, apparently no special care is needed, at least with this tree, to deal with higher limb speeds?

Good details in the video...liked the explanations about different ways to make the limb cuts. "Devil's foot" cut was interesting...had not seen that before.

Thanks.

Nice vid August. I love zip lining stuff and often do. Great tools to have at the ready. I like your speed line kit. Tempted to throw the money at it. Be lighter to pull aloft than what I am using now. Question, did you make the runners changeable on the snaps? Looks like they are sewn together after passing through the eye. I guess one could just cut them off and girth hitch to the eye when needing replaced if damaged or what not.

Nice vid August. I love zip lining stuff and often do. Great tools to have at the ready. I like your speed line kit. Tempted to throw the money at it. Be lighter to pull aloft than what I am using now. Question, did you make the runners changeable on the snaps? Looks like they are sewn together after passing through the eye. I guess one could just cut them off and girth hitch to the eye when needing replaced if damaged or what not.

They are sewn for dedicatedness. This kit was a prototype that I still use so I don't have to buy one of the final kits. The ones for sale, are not tightly sewn to the biner like these. There is a heavy rubber ring instead which allows you to rotate the carabiner on the sling for longer wear. If a sling were to be destroyed entirely. The new sling would need to be girth hitched on.

Wow, great job and great video.

The finished product, the pruned tree looked awesome. How did the climber get up that tree, basic big shot and wraptor?

As long as you mentioned it, why the snipe, it didn't look like it played a role. Btw, I'm used to seeing humboldt snipes on the bottom cut, never seen one on the top cut. Oh, the possibilities.

Cory, I was sniping to break the hinge if necessary because the face cuts were a little shallow. I don't always do it. I guess I was in a snipe mood.

It's probably not even called a snipe if it's on the log. I can't remember but it has the effect. Jer?

Look at this sweet "boom tie"
Pretty far out hey small diameter limb in the top but supported by the main stem up higher. And even smoothly going through a pulley on the bottom side of the limb. Placed me magically over my work. Principal very much like fishing vessel boom.

7e6f6e3c5e7657b820dbe02db428450b.jpg

That's cool.

We do a lot of rigging like that- when the boom which is in the best location is very small, we tie it up like that, put a pulley on it, and the loads it takes are amazing. Haven't had one break, yet.

It's probably not even called a snipe if it's on the log. I can't remember but it has the effect. Jer?

August, around my neck of the woods it's called a "SCARF". Like a snipe the scarf, in conjunction with a gap at the hinge, can serve to widen the face. Other mechanical features, between these two partial opening cuts, can serve distinctly different functions. For example: in your video where the work is clearly leaving the cut it matters little which one you use. Ah, but falling a tree up a steep slope it matters much more. The snipe can help make the tree stick to the stump, if it is incline to settle back and rest upon it. Whereas the scarf would be more prone to inducing the same tree to rest back and then skip off the stump.

A simple model can easily demonstrate both outcomes. But in real life practice there's so often more at play that we must be aware of in our calculations. Much more.

Loved that Cottonwood vid, August. Gotta say also... love the vlog style realism, vs. the more highly edited stuff. Course you already knew that.

Back