August Hunicke Videos

Good vid. Not so sure about the high back cut info.

Would have liked to see how you got the huge wood outta there.

I probably just didn't explain it well then Cory. It wasn't a high back cut, it was a somewhat blocked out face.
The logs are still there. That's not my part.

aug

Ya Sean, I definitely agree with that. I was trying to have no stump cut at the end of the job.
So I have may have nullified the benefit somewhat by not going higher with back cut... but when I left I just cut the hinge off.

aug

On stems like that where the brush is all gone and most of the load is off the trunk then I prefer gutting the hinge. And you're right, the low back cut nullified any possible advantage of the block face.

I tried the block face a few time on some small deciduous trees to test the enhanced folding capability, but I wasn't enthusiast with the results due to a collateral effect:
Each time, I got exactly what I feared before hand, as the partial loss of the aiming's accuracy. Maybe I did something wrong, like too thin of a hinge, but the fibers split only at one side instead of all the width, following a triangular shape across the hinge ( bottom left to the top right of the vertical cut for example). It worked as if I made a slanted hinge and I get a substantial drift in my lay.
This phenomenon should be less apparent with a big tree ( high of the block cut vs width of the trunk) but I would like to figure it out.

Did you make your face high enough up the trunk to assure straight fiber run?

Yes, I was completely out of the root flare.
The grain seemed straight to me, but it was cut by boring and not split though. So it's difficult to be sure.
Thinking at it, maybe a slightly twisted grain could give this result, one side weakened splits and folds easily, the other reinforced by the propping effect by the cut fibers in front of the continuous ones doesn't want to split so easily.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lRMt3k-_uoM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ladderball, not exactly what I had in mind when I first saw the title. How many times did you have to play before you won enough games to become the winner in the video? :P

To bad I'm not in a position to come do some grunt work for you. I'd love to do some low stress manual labor for awhile.

Nice show.

Uber can be a good shuttle in town. Don't know if you have it in your area.

Two guys plus mini equals a lot of guys. The mini doesn't drive, rake, or maintain equipment, unfortunately.

Or sit in the truck and hug you and tell you everything is going to be alright, or dry your tears and brush your hair softly till the sobbing stops.

At least I don't think there's an attachement for that...

Back