Skidders on the Beach ...?...

Altissimus

TreeHouser
... long time ago I was working with a guy from Long Island (NY) , he was experienced with a Tree service down there and never had worked in the woods. Was helping me cutting first road into my land as I was to eventually log. He became some farmiliar with the equipment after living here for awhile. Back on Long Island one summer, he was WAY out near Montauk Pt which is the end of land and there are certainely no log lots, there were two Timberjacks parked on the beach. I have always wondered WTF they were doing...any ideas..??....he asked me and all I could come up with was the fact that these machines are specialized...they winch logs, skid them out, and push them into a pile that is it...years later still no idea what marine construction or salvage would need two skidders

Montauk is an amazing place of nature. Been partially taken over by billionaires choppering in from NYC in recent years.

No log lots there but maybe for a tree job? Or maybe a rich dude wanted them to have them cuz they look cool….

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...as I have puzzled over this for years, the other thing that kills me is Beach sand and Salt water spray cannot be good for those Timberjacks as they are woodland creatures after all

I know guys out here on the West side that use wheeled skidders to launch and retrieve fishing boats in the surf line.

...Sometimes she'd go out on the porch where her mother could see her, to roll a joint
And Lorraine would have a smile on her face that made her look a little crazy
... As if she had a secret that no one else knew...
...I liked watching her...

Walking on, one summer night Lorraine said "now its time for you to see the light house"
she was out on Montok point
At the end of a long rocky peninsula, the light house was set dramatically against the night sky
A beam of light circling around it
the early morning fog was rolling in...
...and all the while, she said...

Magnificent derail, Ed
And truth be told, I had to Google it to figure out where it was from.

I know guys out here on the West side that use wheeled skidders to launch and retrieve fishing boats in the surf line.

My other thot. Drift net fishermen on the Cook Inlet side of the Kenai Peninsula use boom trucks. A skidder would work for bigger boats.
But the poor machine. The salt would gobble it up. Just the salt air would destroy them.

Back