The Logging Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know why the embed codes aren't working for my anymore. ??

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The bullbuck is the boss of the falling crew. He does the hiring and firing, assigns the strips, might occasionally check a faller's scale if they're busheling, makes sure the log lengths are in spec for whatever the mill wants, and just generally keeps an eye on things. On a small show he might take a strip himself, on a bigger show with multiple sides he might spend all day running back and forth in a pickup.

Sorry...Cory said it better with less words while I was typing.

That gent was dressed rather gayly, was that part of the joke?

No prob, clearcut, now we have some good detail. I know what a bull buck is but never worked for one.

The best man from my wedding who I worked with for years is a bullbuck now out of Pemberton. Near Whistler in bc.

Was he a skilled, accomplished cutter? Is that how one normally attains that position?

Something ain't right with that dude :/:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qajr7chnEjU?list=UUfKBjAlRN3Fvzkugu6ukuIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Meth. Either he's on it there.....................or has been on it enough in the past that he's permanently altered. Seen that too many times to miss it..............

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Made it back into the woods today and got two trees cut and out before it started raining again. Traction was a little sketchy, but it's going to get a little bit colder this week. Got to keep pushing, I don't want to be in the woods when it's thawed out.

I hear you Dave. We are cutting and skidding with early spring conditions. At least we still have snow and freezing temps.. My partner runs the Timbco fellerbuncher while I skid with the 5H or the Cat 518 skidder. Then we process with the Komotsu with a Log mMax 7000. It took years to get to this point, but it is rewarding work. I need to learn to post pics., it would make things here more interesting.

P1000356.JPG P1000353.JPG P1000354.JPG P1000352.JPG

I have about 2000 cubic meters of felled and bucked wood laying around in the forest, waiting for dryer weather, so we can get it forwarded/skidded out.
Sucks!

We pulled some 35 oaks last week, to finish up our oak clear cut.
I'll post some pix, just to show Jomo, that loggers don't ALWAYS rely on their skill with wdges:lol:

Todays job was taking out a bunch of biggish poplars that never should have been planted in the first place.
The Chinese have started buying poplar logs, so everything was bucked to 11,8 meters, to fit into shipping containers.

P1000368.JPG P1000369.JPG P1000370.JPG

One of them had about 20 degree side lean over the little oaks, so Martin put a whizzy in and utilized a rootflare to hold it on the desired course.
Worked perfectly.
All I can say, someone sure did a good job teaching that kid how to fall trees;)

P1000374.JPG P1000373.JPG P1000371.JPG

We pulled some 35 oaks last week, to finish up our oak clear cut.
I'll post some pix, just to show Jomo, that loggers don't ALWAYS rely on their skill with wdges:lol:

You need a bull line yu wuss?

Real logger'd have that puny tree jack'd over fore you got halfway up it!

Jomo:)

I don't climb trees to set pull-lines anymore.
Welcome to the brave new world of Dyneema, that can be set with thowline and bigshot.

NO idea!
It is crap, but so was the conifers we sold to them 2 years ago.

Basically they are just filling up all those empty containers that travel back to China.
A logging pal of mine asked one of the Chinese buyers if it wasn't expensive to get the wood to China.
It is expensive to get it to the harbour, was the answer.

It seems extraordinary that it can be worth taking pops all the way around the world to make furniture, now THAT blows my mind!

Yeah, the Chinese are/were buying up all kinds of Walnut in the states as well, even a large mill operation or two there. The standards for milling precision were pretty rough in the beginning when milled in China, but they seem to have much upgraded their equipment. They are cheapos when giving you some extra thickness, 5/4 is like exactly 5/4, compared to most other people that will give you some extra, which can be real helpful. No doubt importing for both domestic use and to export, some of it the wood has ended up in my shop. I've seen some of their furniture, often copies of standard designs, like out of Europe, unbelievably cheap priced and though it may appear cosmetically good upon a first observation, if you look into the details of construction, it is generally crap or one step above. There is a tradition there for excellent and complex woodwork, but that was long ago. Shipping logs isn't that expensive compared to what the profit from doing it can bring. China doesn't have much hardwood of it's own these days, but they have the money to spend importing it.

Yeah, the Chinese are/were buying up all kinds of Walnut in the states as well, even a large mill operation or two there. The standards for milling precision were pretty rough in the beginning when milled in China, but they seem to have much upgraded their equipment. They are cheapos when giving you some extra thickness, 5/4 is like exactly 5/4, compared to most other people that will give you some extra, which can be real helpful. No doubt importing for both domestic use and to export, some of it the wood has ended up in my shop. I've seen some of their furniture, often copies of standard designs, like out of Europe, unbelievably cheap priced and though it may appear cosmetically good upon a first observation, if you look into the details of construction, it is generally crap or one step above. There is a tradition there for excellent and complex woodwork, but that was long ago. Shipping logs isn't that expensive compared to what the profit from doing it can bring. China doesn't have much hardwood of it's own these days, but they have the money to spend importing it.

Makes sense I guess, cheers for the explanation.

.... there are thousands of empty containers with nothing to put in them in the US, ship rates back to China are a fraction of the forward freight price, large local mill invested in stationary gigantic chipper buys Hemlock by weight (30-40 bucks per Ton) , chips go to China. Not sure what for maybe fuel....

Back