The Logging Thread

Great description!

Dapper-Dan-Pomade.gif

Sadly no, Ed. It is a pair of gloves.
The "Waiscoat" is a 25 year old Helly Hansen fleece vest. Not so dapper after all.
But being one of ( most likely) the two only loggers in the country to wear hickory shirts, adds a little something, I suppose:D

Isn't fleece a sawdust magnet?

Yep!
But somehow less of one than my eyes are.

Ed, it is snaps, here.
Schnapps is what they drink south of us.
Tastes way better, actually.

Danish snaps comes from a time of bad alcohol, where you needed something with a lot of taste to cover the flavour of the different alcohols that were distilled along with ethanol.
Kind of like England and gin.

Here we used caraway sedds.

HORRIBLE, I tell ya!

On the rare occasion that i drink snaps, I have a Norwegian " Linie aquavit".

Going across the equator in a sherry cask makes that stuff ever so smooth and mellow.

Thanks.
Apart from the twist, it is a prime log.
It was a second generation tree in that stand, so I guess it was actually a "Son of a Beech"

I never took very many logging pictures. I wish I would have taken more but it never seemed like I had the time or the energy.

DSCF1737.jpg

Hella pic.

Why is the far side treeless? That seems very much like a Western thing (trees thick as dog hair here but meadows there)but I don't understand what causes that?

Hot, dry and rocky. This picture was taken not to far above the Salmon River in Idaho and it reaches up in the 100's in the summer. Just not an ideal growing site. The north faces are cooler and hold more moisture so they tend to grow more trees.

Back